does volume head price or price lead volume?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by commanderco, Jan 15, 2007.

1. nkhoi

nkhoi

is your name O'Brien by any change? :D

#11     Jan 15, 2007
  2. Atlantic

Atlantic

ok - and what happens if price triggers stop orders - hence attracts/mobilizes additional volume - i think we can agree that in such case price leads volume, or not?

anybody who thinks i'm wrong should correct me but i strongly believe that there is not one single relationship between two markets or elements or whatever where one thing is ALWAYS the leader of the other one. that simply can't be.

#12     Jan 17, 2007
  3. Lets reduce it to the simplest possible scenerio. The market is static. The last price is 1400. The bid is 1400 and the ask 1400.25 with no one willing to buy or sell. Now one person steps up and buys one contract at the ask (volume) THEN the last price goes up one tick to 1400.25. It cannot go up until this happens, can it?
    Volume equals trades. A trade must occur before price can change. Price cannot move of its own volition can it?

#13     Jan 17, 2007
  4. nkhoi

nkhoi

no answer, hmm..btw, check out the book by Tom O'Brien, chapter 1: volume lead price, and also check out chapter 12, channel trading, not as extensive as what is being taught here but a good quick read nevertheless.

#14     Jan 17, 2007
  5. You have nailed it BB.

#15     Jan 17, 2007
  6. pismo10

pismo10

But the bid ask can change dramatically without any trades. Rare but happens.

#16     Jan 19, 2007
  7. foible

foible

Happens all the time in thinner stocks.

Even worse is the all-too-common case where someone buys a block of stock and price moves up .20 and then one minute later is back trading where it started. What has volume done here?

Price leads volume: when a stock comes up to a key resistance point or a key figure (e.g.: 52wk high), then a single 100 lot printing above this can often unleash a torrent of buying as breakout traders rush in. Price leads volume.

Volume leads price: I think what Jack is saying is that sustained, directional volume leads price, since volume is indicative of a big buyer which can not be absorbed by the market without changing price. A large amount of buying will reduce the number of sellers making further buying (at a given price level) even harder. Volume leads price.

When Jack talks about volume leading price, he isn't indiscriminate. With equities, he does not want a single large trade, he wants a steady, sustained pace of buying. That's why he recommends that we mentally erase block trades from the volume tally.

I don't think it's a simple matter of saying that volume always leads price or price always leads volume.

#17     Jan 19, 2007
  8. duard

duard

This morning's rally failed on lack of volume. After a few pops up it wasn't selling as much as lack of volume. Without volume price began skidding on its own weight as price skidded selling momentum picked up until price eventually fell back to ground zero with the assistance of a few helpful traders.

#18     Jan 19, 2007

9. What's this "hmm" shit? Where YOU wanting an answer to such a unbased question?

The answer is no.

#19     Jan 19, 2007
  10. romik

romik

What about limit orders that only serve a purpose of being pulled to drag price down or up before volume picks up.

#20     Jan 19, 2007