Does Visa Hit The Market for Trading Tomorrow?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by BlueStreek, Mar 18, 2008.

1. Surdo

Surdo

Go buy a book on Amazon.

#21     Mar 18, 2008
  2. Only a fool buys an IPO at retail on opening day. 99% of the time you will lose money.

I'm amazed the SEC still allows this BS to continue. The banks should have to sell it to the public, this crap of "placing" it is a joke.

#22     Mar 18, 2008
  3. Cramer is bulling this already and labeled V as a "gift". I bet a lot of booyahs have placed market orders already.

#23     Mar 18, 2008
  4. This is a hot and hyped stock backed by a very profitable company that is not tainted by the current subprime mess, usually those type of stock does run up a bit in the first few days, ie: goog, vmw.

It all depends on the initial price, if <50 i think it's a good deal, >70 no, anything in between good for daytrading with tight stop.

trendlover,

visa -> investment bank (jpm, gs) -> institutional clients + high net worth (think of them as the bank's friends) -> sell at market price tomorrow -> YOU

Although perfectly legal, it's well understood between the banks and institutional clients that you do not dump all your ipo shares on first day unless under extreme panic situation, usually hold it for a few months at min. Otherwise risk pissing off the banks and not receiving any ipo in the future. So it's not like someone suggested you will see 400 million shares dumped at open.

Also the banks price the share so it's not too cheap (avoid a huge gap up which will result in a major crash due to profit taking), and also not too expensive to avoid a downtrend at the get go. They also try to constantly adjust the stock price so it' goes up a bit but not too much after the ipo.

Basically the banks make sure the stock is stable and doesnt crash the first few weeks, then after that all hands off and up to the company. At least the good banks like gs, jpm etc.. That's why when buying ipo stocks, it's critical to see who the underwriters are. If you get some noname crap bank like the ones that wrote a lot of chinese stocks, you need to be very cautious.

#24     Mar 18, 2008
  5. Nugget

Nugget

I Know I can wait tomorrow till my software shows it, but what is the symbol for the ipo?

#25     Mar 18, 2008
  6. I DO understand JP AND GS are not selling from THIER inventory.
    They pass along to institutions. These instituitions (which are banks) then see what they can make from the traders.
    The 44 dollars is what VISA will pocket no matter how the share trades. I am not putting a value on the share, I am stating the price VISA will be guaranteed no matter what the market decides.
    Yes Surdo, I will by a book and study ipo more. You have been patient. Much appreiated!

#26     Mar 18, 2008
  7. That is very good advice. When I have a better grasp on trading over time, I hope I can return the favor to you.

#27     Mar 18, 2008

8. not 9:30am?

#28     Mar 19, 2008
  9. SteveD

SteveD

Visa receives $44 per share less selling expenses....

many institutional investors bought this IPO....

they like the fact that it has a large float....able to place a lot of money on one transaction with good upside....20 million shares only 5% of float...

Underwriters went around on "road show" to meet with many investors.....investor fills out a "deal sheet" saying how many shares and what price they willing to pay.....Visa and bankers get together and try to average price/allocation as fairly as possible

shares will placed in accounts tomorrow morning right after open...NYSE stock so should open very quickly...route a "market" order to NYSE and shoud be OK with decent price....

SteveD

#29     Mar 19, 2008
  10. SteveD

SteveD

PS: They have to wait for final SEC approval to open for trading to the public....hence the Initial Public Offering ....IPO..

Visa president will open market and make his way down to execute first trade.....NYSE is very traditional in some respects, LOL...

SteveD

#30     Mar 19, 2008