Does trendline work?

Discussion in 'Technical Analysis' started by GloriaBrown, Aug 17, 2019.

1. Never seen a trend line work after more than 2 revisits except for perma-bull SPY. Recent movement notwithstanding.

#11     Aug 17, 2019
  2. dozu888

dozu888

stop looking... NOTHING WORKS..

already posted many times - trading is not about finding something works, something somehow have been missed by millions of other traders.

check my thread 'trading is easy'... how stories are unfolded.

this is like 90% of drivers think they are better than average lol... give your fellow human being some credit and assume they have already tried everything that you are about to try lol.

#12     Aug 17, 2019
    Leob and MKTrader like this.
  3. nickynoes

nickynoes

Define work, there is a whole lot more going on when you are trading beside drawing trendlines.

#13     Aug 17, 2019
    Leob likes this.
  4. Handle123

Handle123

I found programming a Trend Line took over a year as there are many more definitions of where it should start then to another point, also slope, too steep for me are failures, but that alone shows other signals of counter trend to work. I been using trendlines since 1978 and I have seen so many use them wrongly, it is no matter no one has faith in them when you drawing through range of bars. Definitions of patterns themselves and variances or called "Thick pencil" what is close enough to trendline to say it is close enough.

One can use trendlines on one minute bars BUT you must be skilled as to when not to use trendlines. And most are not skilled be it trendlines or any other method of trading. I find hourly bar charts shows best returns and most trades are counter trend but I hedge any timeframe above 29 minutes. And there are as many ways to enter , slightly above, at, below, wait for a bounce back in direction, wait for conformation causing a failure to go wrong direction, just like any other method.

And they can be programmed successfully and used for automatic, but most can't trade manually and don't believe anyone or any system, and that is fine as I don't give a rats ass for people in general.

#14     Aug 17, 2019
    zghorner, Leob, NQurious and 5 others like this.
  5. taowave

taowave

Horizontal trendlines..quite possibly

Sloping??? Best of luck

#15     Aug 17, 2019
    kuangchao, Onra, ET180 and 1 other person like this.
  6. observed by large hedge funds, banks, pension funds, the Fed, etc
    Is based on your imagination?

#16     Aug 17, 2019
  7. So can you use your program to prove trendline provides any edge?

#17     Aug 17, 2019
    Handle123 likes this.
  8. CharlesS

CharlesS

Does structural engineering "WORK" ?
    Are there conditions that will lead to the collapse of a bridge, and conditions that will not ?
    If a bridge collapses, does that mean that structural engineering DOES NOT WORK ?

#18     Aug 17, 2019
    tommcginnis likes this.
  9. MKTrader

MKTrader

You're comparing a thoroughly tested science (that people's lives depend on) to drawing silly lines on a chart (which has zero evidence of giving you an edge)?

#19     Aug 17, 2019
    _eug_ likes this.
  10. CharlesS

CharlesS

The key word is "conditions," for trading sometimes referred to as context.

My impression (correct me if I'm wrong) is that nooby_mcnoob's comment "Never seen a trend line work after more than 2 revisits except for perma-bull SPY" is intended to dismiss trendlines as not very useful.

It's quite the opposite if you apply the idea of conditions directly to the comment, and that is a most scientific method. The presumed (?) refutation negates itself.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2019
    #20     Aug 17, 2019
    NumberZ, tommcginnis and soulfire like this.