Does trading wear you out?

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by minmike, Aug 22, 2006.

1. long ago at the beginnin' and for some time after i was extremely stressed and tired; at the end of the session i just collapsed and found also very difficult to sleep...now no more, altough i am pretty much torn apart after the closin' bell, i feel ok and sleep very well...i also trade asia overnite sometimes, without gettin' exhausted...but yeah when u have big positions on and things dont go that well it is extremely tiresome.

#11     Aug 22, 2006
  2. Even though I'm not a day trader, I still stay at my computer pretty much all day from open to close. Looking at all the numbers go bye, the tape, flashing lights, and all that tends to wear me out. So to answer the question...Yes, trading does wear me out, but I'm getting use to it. I still enjoy trading to the fullest.

#12     Aug 22, 2006
  3. duard

duard

If I do both the am and afternoon session it can get especially tiring, especially if required to perform the "money shot."
    After I blow my wad I like to take a nap.

#13     Aug 22, 2006
  4. When I started out I used to get small panic attacks. It's the body retaliating for subjecting it to too much stress.

Ironically, the more markets I started trading, the less time I had to pay attention to what was going on in each market, and the stress went down.

I've both lost and made enough money to not take money, trading, nor myself too seriously anymore.

RoughTrader

#14     Aug 22, 2006
  5. The opposite- trading energizes me.

Doing nothing wears me out.

#15     Aug 22, 2006
  6. Trading does not wear me out, but I do.

#16     Aug 23, 2006
  7. The process of achieving is always painful. But harder the process, greater the return.

Process = Risk.

Risk = Reward.

#17     Aug 23, 2006
  8. mokwit

mokwit

I find that dealing with retail brokers and data vendors and their "it's your ISP" etc attitude grinds me down psychologically more than trading. Starting to dumb down and deleverage everything I can to the point where if it breaks and they refuse to fix it I can just work around it, accepting the things I can't. Less mission critical stuff the better. Allows greater focus on stuff where everything is dealt with their server side not my PC side.

Trading is draining - some days if you asked me what my name was at martket close I probably could not tell you. Instead of staring at the tape all day looking for something that should not be there I now just program an alert to do the same thing, allowing concentration levels to decline. Similarly have written scans for the setups I used to spend hours looking for. Make technology work for you. Virtually stopped intraday trading after data feed problems and now much more laid back and generally not tired. Much better quality of life - time for seeing friends for lunch, afternoon delights etc.

#18     Aug 23, 2006
  9. I'm a long term position trader. Most of the time there is nothing to do. Yesterday I took a nap.

#19     Aug 23, 2006
  10. I have the same problem...I like to fire my rifle randomly out of one of my windows.

I have a bullhorn that I use periodically to inform my next door neighbor of my appraisal of her new boob job. "Hey Bette, really nice job you got there, now I know why Bob calls them the "Winnebagos"....

Occasionally I will make obscene phone calls to old girl friends. Unfortunately I found that the majority of them really like that and start to respond in kind..You folks know me, I am never at a loss for words, but I find that it is hard to keep up with a middle aged woman who is really into talking dirty to you, and then they want to get together for "lunch"....Bad idea...

I am open to suggestions.

Steve

#20     Aug 23, 2006