Does Tradestation conflict with IB's TWS?

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by aereoplain, Nov 23, 2003.

1. A poster in another thread mentioned that Tradestation and IB's Trader Workstation cannot be run together on the same computer because TS is in C++, and therefore interferes with TWS and Java. Will someone from Tradestation please comment on whether this is true? I am in the process of moving one account to TS to take advantage of the lower rate. I plan to continue to trade mainly from my IB accounts but wanted access to the large historical database and backtesting software that TS offers. If I can't run my charting program and TWS from the same computer then I'll have to cancel the transfer and continue with my current setup of IB + eSignal until I can find a better way to backtest (maybe Wealth Lab, although from what I saw it seems to be geared more toward equities than futures). eSignal's backtesting capabilities are woefully inadequate, and will still be so after they finally offer 180 days of intraday data.

Thanks,
    Jason

2. I use them both and I have no conflict problems. By the way, I'm using IB's stand alone TWS. My PC is 2.4 GHz with 1GB RAM. Maybe, the other user had a PC with a much slower CPU and lower RAM.

Chinook

3. Thanks Chinook, I was thinking the same thing re: the other trader may have an older/less powerful computer. I'm using a 1.7 or 1.8 GHz P4 processor with 512MB RAM so hopefully I won't have any problems (I also use the standalone TWS). It's nice to hear confirmation that at least someone out there is using both TWS and TS simultaneously with no problem.

Jason

4. I strongly suggest that you upgrade your RAM to at least 1GB RAM for best TS performance. You might get hickups with 512 MB--it's well worth the investment.

Chinook