does TOS support parallel processing

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by guardiangel, Oct 24, 2009.

1. i was wondering if i should get a high end dual core or a normal quad core. not quite sure what i should get...

2. As far as I can tell TOS uses only a single core by default. There may be some java magic you could use to change that, but I haven't tried.

Personally I don't see the benefit of them trying to use more as I'd guess that they're mostly network speed limited anyway.

3. nitro

nitro

As TOS is server side technology, you don't care. A reasonable dual core machine is fine for TOS.

4. i'm using 133 and 144 tick charts, and some indicators with heavy code and it lags the crap out of me with a dual core and 4gb of ram. could there be other reasons for the lag?

5. nitro

nitro

TOS uses the Java VM. While the Java VM is a pig, those numbers and your experience seems excessive given the hardware configuration of the machine.

Not sure...One thing you can do is bring up the Task Manager, and sort by CPU usage. Take a look at how much of the processing power each of the applications running is using. You may need to check "Show Processes from All users" button.

You may need to get a far more powerful computer, one based on i7 technology.

6. TOS is always taking up 50% CPU
    sounds horrible aye.

7. Ummm, how much <i>should</i> it take up? If it's the most important app running (as would seem to be the case for the OP), wouldn't one want it to use available cycles?