Does this happen to you?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by omegapoint, Feb 27, 2008.

1. ElCubano

ElCubano

ill go with this one...

#11     Feb 28, 2008
  2. Alright, I'll be the spoiler. There is a hidden camera behind you.

#12     Feb 28, 2008
  3. Frequently, too often to be chance, as soon as I get into a stock it'll tank -- vertical -- and a disproportiate amt of the time as soon as I sell a stock it'll climb ..

--------------------------------

If you keep asking around, I'm sure you'll find dozens of confirming stories. Oth, there'll be equal and opposite stories saying this is not true.

What'sa poor guy to do? Confirm there is boogey man? Then what? Run him out of town? It is what it is.

One suggestion is to buy half a position, booyah, you know it's going down, then buy somemore.

#13     Feb 28, 2008
  4. Many here will call you paranoid for making these statements, same as me when I made them some time ago.

The phenomenon you mentioned happens to me quite often. I am not sure if it is broker related as it has happened to me with three different brokers now.

You may also have noticed that when the stock starts to move back in your favor, it will stop at exactly your entry price and reverse once again.

Now I have no idea of why this is happening, but it is happening. I have been daytrading stocks since 1995 and have never seen anything like this before (this has been happening for a couple years now, but is worse now).

Is it just bad entry on my part? Possibly. However this happens too often and too consistently to be mere coincidence, especially the stop at your entry price phenomenon.

I am sure that I will get flamed by all of the well informed traders here again but so be it. What I would prefer is to have a discussion of not whether or not this is happening, but if it is happening, how would it be possible for the market participants to do this.

Echo

#14     Feb 28, 2008
  5. When you're trading something like a deep nasdaq stock which has dozens sometimes over 100 market makers in it how is it do you think they can get all those firms to back up the market and screw you and your retail lot when all those market makers are in different places fielding different order flow?

#15     Feb 28, 2008
  6. Well, hell, when you see it happening AGAIN, dont cover and add twice as much on the squeeze, then place a limit order to cover your position back close to the original entry. You can even place an order to cover and then also reverse. I mean, you guys look at it one way and for some reason do not see the opportunity to make great money from it.

#16     Feb 28, 2008
  7. Actually, this is similar to what I have started doing to take advantage of the situation. Many times I will only execute 100 shares at a time to either enter or exit a position. I watch the algos go nuts trying to screw me after my entry and I can enter the rest of my order at better prices. Sometimes though they get you real good and you have no choice but to take the loss.

I could also start a service to allow people to take the opposite of my trades as I can almost guarantee that the market will move against me the moment I enter my position. :)

#17     Feb 28, 2008
  8. Just happened to me and it really really pissed me off.

LTD just sucked me out hardcore.

Wanted to buy in at around $16.35 just now. instead, my order didnt' get filled and it was rocketing up so i bought in at $16.42, only to watch it tank to $16.27 the next 3 mins. So I got out, only to watch the next 1 min candle rocket back up to where it was

wtf ?

#18     Feb 28, 2008
  9. jmoo

jmoo

You need to trade less volatile stocks so you won't be shaken out of trades so easily. That or reduce your size and trade stocks that aren't hot news items or earnings. Just play the normal ranges vs. what the indexs are doing.

#19     Feb 28, 2008
  10. It happens both way for me. Sometimes the stock will go the wrong way, or sometimes it will go the right way, right away. Like today, i was thinking about getting into SEED at 6.43 and it started running up. Normally i dont chase a stock, but i decided to anyway. I got in at 6.69 and it imediately dropped 10 cents. Then within a minute or two it started climbing again. I ended up getting out at 7.10 and i was only in that trade for a few minutes. I think though the newer you are to trading, the more it seems like the market is out to get you.

#20     Feb 28, 2008