Does this explain a lot of the posts on ET?

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by patch227, Feb 1, 2006.

1. Then the thread is hijacked by spammers, or the "self-important" stalkers who seem to comment on every single thread to increase their posting count, etc.

Slowly, the thread peters out and dies a death of disinterest....

#11     Feb 1, 2006
  2. patch227

patch227

Quote from TRS:

Posting is a lot like the market/s.
    You get the start of a thread. The to and fro. A predominate opinion soon takes hold. This opinion will have a 'wave' of supporters, untill, a strong and decisive post provides resistance, provoking support for the contrary opinion. Then....
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Great observation TRS !!

#12     Feb 1, 2006
  3. It makes more sense that "distress" would follow bad choices for the most part.
    And where do you start from with this assessment?
    On a hunch, i would have thought most people make far more bad choices than good- providing a continuem of ongoing stress-actually only alleviated by the occasional good choice, which occur more or less randomly anyway.
    By which i mean, just as many "foolish" choices end up working out as well as the non-foolish choices.
    Its only measured in hindsight, the hypothesesis seems flawed.

#13     Feb 1, 2006
  4. patch227

patch227

"On a hunch, i would have thought most people make far more bad choices "

Do you mean in trading or in life?

#14     Feb 2, 2006
  5. Yeah, both. The odd's available dont seem to vary that much.
    Dodgy trade isnt much different to a bad hamburger, winding up in a dud relationship, that kind of thing.
    Regardless of what an opportunity you may perceive something to be, the outcome isnt overwhelmingly reliant on one's concerted effort or dedication.
    Did that make sense?

#15     Feb 2, 2006
  6. I think it is interesting.

Both the concept (Dr. Baumeister) and the replies you got.

In general, I think people make poor choices because they suffer from "lack of perspective". This lack of perspective is similar to when people speed on the freeway trying to get ahead of the next guy only to find that they are now in back of someone else. If they took a moment to breath and THINK about their situation, they might come to the conclusion that it is better (less stressful at least) to just cruise along at the limit, arriving only a few minutes later than if they pushed it, hunched over the wheel like maniacs.

There is a second scenario that I see periodically. This scenario seems to spring from either frustration or desperation. In the first instance (usually this happens with scammers) the "trader" has a "scam" usually an advisory, or system that he/she vends to newbies. Suddenly, someone decides to put an end to the game, and they are left with nowhere to hide. At first they lash out verbally, assaulting the enemy, then if they are unsuccessful, "frustration" sets in and they start to make silly choices, often choosing to try things that are self destructive or damaging to their "reputation". In the end, if they have no way to adapt to a new environment, they become "desperate" and start grasping at straws. They may for instance try an alias in order to disguise their scam from the public. Often they will continue to exhibit the same behavior even though it results in irreparable damage to their reputation. Ultimately they grow tired of getting their asses kicked and they slink away into the sunset, never to be seen again. For the rest of us, it is as though they never existed.

Best Regards,
    Steve

#16     Feb 2, 2006
  7. patch227

patch227

"Yeah, both. The odd's available dont seem to vary that much.
    Dodgy trade isnt much different to a bad hamburger, winding up in a dud relationship, that kind of thing.
    Regardless of what an opportunity you may perceive something to be, the outcome isnt overwhelmingly reliant on one's concerted effort or dedication.
    Did that make sense? "

Don't think I agree with you there. That would imply that as much as you study trading, you will probably not get better at it.

Peraps the issue is learning to perceive better because your perception and the issues influencing perception are perhaps more important than effort or dedication.

Like someone who keeps getting into a bad relationship because they don't perceive that they could be in a good relationship

Steve I agree, but the concept of taking a moment to breath is alien to most of the population. They believe they are totally right and therefore do not have to change anything. i.e. it is the walls fault that they keep crashing into it

I see that a lot around here

#17     Feb 2, 2006
  8. I think i see where your coming from there, im forced to assume your a normal person, and likely see a strong link between your endeavour and results, trading or life.
    Its all a bit anthony robbins for me, that sort of take on things, due to my brain not functioning as i would like.
    That being said, i couldnt be much more stoked at the very basic skills i have picked up, and perfected to the furthest degree i can take them.
    Not that there isnt more work to do, a lot more, but the most important use of perception is in knowing the value of what you have.

#18     Feb 2, 2006
  9. Issue 1: Have I ever played the lottery or started trading the markets wanting to make those big bucks quickly and with little effort? Has this line of thinking led to poor decisions? YEP! I has taken a lot of time, experience, many poor decisions and personal evaluation to realize that success in any endeavor comes as a result of hard work.

Issue 2: Have I ever thought that trading is easy, and then proceed to lose a great deal of money leading to anger, frustrations and a blow to pride? Has this led to additional poor decisions? YEP!

Issue 3: Has wanting those quick rewards lead to making stupid trading decisions, which has led to trading loses? YEP! Waiting for the high probability trading setups has taken a lot of self-discipline, which has come after many years of frustrations and determination to succeed.

Issue 4: It has taken a long time to become relaxed and confident when faced with pressure situations, such as daily trading. With planning, experience and a lot of study of markets comes confidence.

Issue 5: When I look at some of my earlier posts, I wonder what jerk wrote those posts. Some of the criticisms of my earlier posts were deserved. However, at the time, they did make me angry.

Charles

#19     Feb 2, 2006
  10. patch227

patch227

"I think i see where your coming from there, im forced to assume your a normal person, and likely see a strong link between your endeavour and results, trading or life.
    Its all a bit anthony robbins for me, that sort of take on things, due to my brain not functioning as i would like. "

Not trying to sound up my own arse here but

1. IMHO there is no such thing as a normal person and the fact that you are wanting to change your brain functions is a good place to be. Most people do not think that they can change their brain hence all the screwed up people on reality TV and in so many other places.

2. One of the biggest steps you can take is believing that you control your own life. Joe Public does not believe this and therefore blames his bad lot in life on a) the wife, b) the government c) the market makers

3. Most people do not understand the dynamics of perception and how it can be distorted by your underlying beliefs

Unfortunately there are a lot of trolls on ET who will jump in and personally abuse anyone they can so it is difficult to get a constructive discussion going. Otherwise I would ask you what you would like your brain to do better.

#20     Feb 2, 2006