Does this Dell Q8200 sound like a good deal for day trading?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mizhael, Feb 11, 2009.

1. http://www.techbargains.com/news_displayItem.cfm/152887

-----------

My budget allows me to buy only a desktop, not a laptop. Laptop of such configuration is too expensive for me.

It seems coming with a Vista. I know it's bad, but there is no other choice.

Also, hopefully it will allow me to eventually upgrade to 4 monitors.

Is this a 4 core, or 2 core? I am puzzled by those techie terminology...

2. gnome

gnome

Likely a BAD CHOICE... cheap-ass mobo with onboard video (OK for 1-2 monitors... suspect for more.) Q8200 is OK, though. You can still get XP on many of Dell's models. Get a Precision T3400, you won't be sorry.

3. But this is a Quad. A similarly priced T3400 will only give me 2 core, am I right?

4. gnome

gnome

T3400s come with both C2Ds and Quads.

5. But I've browsed Dell website. That T3400 with Quads' price is horrible for me. I am really having a tight budget...

6. Trading is a game for men (and women) with the money to play it.

If you have Short Money, you shouldn't even be in the game, period.

7. telozo

telozo

Unless you are planning on connecting multiple monitors, the cheapest system will do for any trading style. I have still to see a retail trading platform that requires more than a basic PC with a decent amount of memory for the OS version is running.

8. My cheap laptop keeps freezing when I open multiple software and multiple windows and multiple tabs when browsing Internet. So since I am a multi-tasking person, and want to be efficient in not only trading but other computer works, a slow PC is really bad for me.

9. telozo

telozo

Do buy a new computer by all means, but for what you need, it doesn't matter if it's core 2 duo or quad, or whatever. Better load on memory.

10. My current laptop is a 2 core. But it keeps hanging . I am a multi-tasking guy... and feel it is too slow...

#10     Feb 11, 2009