does the money make you happy?

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by cashmoney69, Dec 17, 2005.

1. There is nobility in saying "I hate poverty"

#111     Apr 21, 2006
  2. Cutten

Cutten

Well I have reasonable qualifications on this, I've made a pretty decent sum trading and managed to keep most of it, and I've spent a fair bit since I began trading in 1998. I'd say that financial security & independence do increase happiness (or at least help stave off unhappiness), but that spending on luxury material goods has't really make any difference. My experience is that the best things in life are free or pretty cheap, and all the money I've spent on Ferraris/Porsches, exotic foreign travel & women, posh restaurants, champagne, penthouses etc, I consider to have been pretty much a waste. If anything it detracted from my life by taking my focus off my trading goals. Partying and high living is not good for personal discipline.

I was happiest when I was starting out and beginning to do well, yet didn't have that much in the bank, and least happy once I started to find work repetitive and dull, had lots of responsibilities & so on, even though I was much better off financially. Also it might just be me but I find I don't get on that well with higher-earning people on the whole, give me a rough n tumble dive bar full of drunks, dropouts & losers over a yuppie bar anytime.

So I'd say go for the money, try a bit of luxury if you must, but get it out of your system quickly and keep your feet on the ground, stay focused on your life goals etc. Having something productive and meaningful to do with your time, finding your calling, something that satisfies you deep down, is much more important than the size of your bank balance.

#112     Apr 21, 2006
  3. Thanks for sharing that Cutten..I got a lot from your post.

When trying to live within your means and the borders widen, it must be tough to adjust.

It sounds like you are a real stand up guy and you know yourself.

Michael B.

#113     Apr 21, 2006
  4. Haven't read the entire thread, but to cashmoney69 who started it: I totally agree with you that the money makes life easier, and gives you an opportunity to do more of what you want.

It doesn't provide direct happiness, but it certainly can buy a lot of worries off your back.

#114     Apr 21, 2006
  5. Cutten

Cutten

How do you know?

#115     Apr 21, 2006
  6. We could say that this truly is the "million dollar question" :)

#116     Apr 21, 2006
  7. agree with most who say that money doesn't buy happiness. it does, however, buy a measure of freedom, security, and more options for life.

i would say, like others have said, place your priorities on loved ones, friends and family, keep grounded, but enjoy your earnings. it is a valuable goal to have enough money to have freedom about how your life is lived. moreover, it gives a sense of accomplishment when you are able to do something well and exercise discipline over your chosen craft, be it trading or some other career.

having your priorities straight, knowing what is important - this is the key to happiness.

#117     Apr 23, 2006
  8. Wealth is a moving target for most people. For me, hitting 1 MM from advantage gambling was a big milestone. You kick back a while, then you realize that you really wanted to have 1 MM in assets after taxes.

Or that others in your field are making 2 or 5 or are on their way to 10 MM. A kind of "keeping up with the Joneses" for successful traders/players. And it's really perverse because a lot of the really successful ones never spend any of it on anything. At least not to the level of their income.

I was much happier when I made the first 100k than when I hit any of the other targets.

Traveler

#118     Apr 28, 2006
  9. extremely.

Having expendable cash and being in your 20s or 30s is the most fullfilling experience in the world.

Do anything you want, anywhere you want, anytime you want. Complete bliss.

currently traveling the world
    while waiting for the market to drop :D

#119     Apr 28, 2006