Does the market really change?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Blitzjoker, Oct 11, 2020.

1. d08

d08

How long have you traded? I don't mean putting a few trades on here and there but significant sample sizes.
    Since you registered in 2020, it is a relevant question.

In my case one of my strats had severely diminished profits, it seemed to have gotten crowded. It worked well for 20 years or more and this year had record drawdowns and hasn't bounced back. The only thing that saved my case were modifications done late last year. And no, it's not long-only, it has short bias.
    Markets change as opportunities get crowded. This is true for absolutely anything to do with supply and demand, it's true for all of history as well.

#51     Oct 12, 2020
    yc47ib, Dreadsen, _terminus_ and 4 others like this.
  2. Tradex

Tradex

Alright I am done here.

#52     Oct 12, 2020
    MrRenev likes this.
  3. %%
    I agree;
    partly/with glee.:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
    Really depends on when we measure,Tradex.
    And here is another reason so many hate trend following.Stock Traders Almanac proved JAN barometer up/that year is up 88% of the time/year.But when it fails, it may fail bigtime=1987+ 2009.This year looks like 2009.
    NOT a prediction+ back to my uptrending chart/QQQ

#53     Oct 12, 2020
  4. taowave

taowave

You were done way before you started:)

#54     Oct 12, 2020
  5. Of course the market changes.

Just think if you had a shit hot setup, with an 80% hit rate, and you posted that setup online, and every trader and his dog started using it.....

......what do you think would happen to the hit rate of that setup?

Thus, the market changes overtime.

#55     Oct 12, 2020
    taowave likes this.
  6. LOL...them idiot trend followers!

Don't they know the way to make da big buxx in da market, is too short against pivot highs.......Sell when they Yell, Buy when they Cry, see?

#56     Oct 12, 2020
    tommcginnis and MrRenev like this.
  7. lindq

lindq

The change is in the DEGREE and the ENERGY with which markets go up down and sideways.

Thus, saying that there is no change in the markets is ignoring some very important factors.

You might as well go sailing, but ignore the force of the wind. Good luck with that. Hope you can swim.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2020
    #57     Oct 12, 2020
    yc47ib, tommcginnis, Grantx and 3 others like this.
  8. zghorner

zghorner

One of my favorite things about the Market Wizards books is reading about things like options trading in its infancy before many people knew about it and how some of those guys made a killing just exploiting pricing discrepancies. there are several examples in those books where what once was an incredible edge simply no longer exists today. IMO this is a clear example of market change

#58     Oct 12, 2020
    Dreadsen, tommcginnis and d08 like this.
  9. Grantx

Grantx

This really depends on the timeframe. With a little effort you can find normal distribution (and therefore an edge) in various places.

#59     Oct 12, 2020
  10. taowave

taowave

When I first broke in to trading brokers would offer reversals/conversions for 1-3 dollar credits.Risk free,on a 1000 lot,you could make between 100 and 300k..I would turn down trades to make 50k...

Now,you are lucky to leg it for 5000 dollars....

#60     Oct 12, 2020
    yc47ib and zghorner like this.