Does Technical Analysis Work?

Discussion in 'Technical Analysis' started by ironchef, Oct 8, 2018.

1. schweiz

schweiz

:D

#31     Oct 9, 2018
  2. tiddlywinks

tiddlywinks

I might steal this line. The gist is TRUE!
    But as @speedo mentions, gestalt MAY/CAN have a useful role too.

I'm reminded of this scene from I, Robot...

#32     Oct 9, 2018
    themickey likes this.
  3. tommcginnis

tommcginnis

You are correct in your implicit supposition: if you trade based on logic, you can code it. And further, rather than brute-forcing your way through a permutationⁿ worth of variables, use that very same logic to pare things down to manageable numbers. The game of chess has 16 variables, per side -- 256 possible combinations, per move. And yet, game-programming sufficient to challenge a Grand Master has been around for decades -- I had a little magnetic game when I was a teenager that had 8 levels, and though I was a fair player, level 3 kicked my ass. The game of Go was long touted as "un-programmable" -- yet *how* to program the unprogrammable game is now taught in college.

If you trade via a logic, it can be programmed. If it becomes computationally burdensome, blame the programmer.

#33     Oct 9, 2018
  4. schweiz

schweiz

Even a brilliant programmer can only program if he receives a very clear and complete description of what he has to program.
    The problem is not the programmer but the person who should give a very clear and complete description of what has to be programmed. So I am the problem. Although I have a basic understanding of system analysis and flowcharts, I am not able to make a complete overview of the whole system including the logic used.
    During the years my brain is trained to go fast thru the logical steps, but it is hard to write them down without errors, and in a flowchart it looks like a huge decision tree, for as far as I was able to note it, and while missing still huge chunks.

#34     Oct 9, 2018
  5. TA in the trading world is like Mayonnaise in the sandwich world. some like it and some don't. personally, I think sandwiches without Mayo are crap, but that is just my opinion.

#35     Oct 9, 2018
    forexpreneur likes this.
  6. PistolPete

PistolPete

" My mind is too fast and complex to be able to code my logic " I would suggest you got that ass about :sneaky:

#36     Oct 9, 2018
  7. tommcginnis

tommcginnis

You are a cruel man.
    Many (Many!) are the ways one might address this task.
    I offer but one:
    https://duckduckgo.com/?q=science+beer+tshirt&t=ffsb&iar=images&iax=images&ia=images

(Reminds me of the olde "Answer Café" whose motto was, "Where you either find the answer, or forget the question.") :D

#37     Oct 9, 2018
    speedo likes this.
  8. speedo

speedo

#38     Oct 9, 2018
    tommcginnis likes this.
  9. Sprout

Sprout

0187955C-CC51-460F-A61F-4B96BCD4E16F.jpeg

#39     Oct 9, 2018
    tommcginnis likes this.
  10. Ishmael the biggest dick in town.