Does small business contribute to US economy ?

Discussion in 'Economics' started by anotherhawkeye, Mar 5, 2009.

1. Take a ride on I-95 (aka the brain-belt) in Massachusetts and you'll see tons of examples of small to medium sized tech companies that produce things of 'value'. There are dozens of medical device companies, several robotics companies, software companies, IT/networking hardware companies, defense contractors, aerospace companies, systems/controls companies, materials engineering companies, etc.... this list goes on and on.

#11     Mar 11, 2009
  2. small business are the backbone of the economy.

#12     Mar 11, 2009
  3. Exactly, I heard that they are 80% of the economy.

CNBC & co speak all day about large caps, that's all they do. You'd hardly even know mid caps exist, much less companies that are not public. The large caps have far more influence on politics to their size to the economy.

#13     Mar 11, 2009
  4. Small business generates the majority of jobs in the U.S.

To the detractors, Google, Microsoft, HP, McDonald's and many, many other institutions were 'small businesses' early on, some being run from basements or garages.

#14     Mar 11, 2009
  5. I don't really buy any of your claims. Next time you are low on gas please explain how that gas station has no value. Next time you are hungry please explain how that grocery store or restaurant has no value.

Does McDonald's contribute to the economy? They are a restaurant. How about Walmart?

#15     Mar 11, 2009

6. Both..not sure why you bothered making a thread when you answered your own question in the second post.

#16     Mar 11, 2009