Does money buy happiness?

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by profitplay, Jun 9, 2006.

Does money buy happiness?

1. YES

31 vote(s)
    68.9%
  2. NO

14 vote(s)
    31.1%
  1. Funny but I remember the exact same story only it was fish instead of fruit...I found many hits for the fish version of the story in google:

http://www.steverrobbins.com/articles/qlife.htm

#11     Jun 9, 2006
  2. zdreg

zdreg

i wonder if the poll on this thread justifies
    this thread or whether it would have been better to include this thread under the money doesn't buy happiness thread.

i suppose everybody is entitled to originate a thread

#12     Jun 9, 2006
  3. GS19

GS19

4. I'd love to know how they conduct these telephone surveys. Just call up random people and ask them how happy they are on a scale of 1 to 10?

Wouldn't there be an inherent problem with that kind of question where happiness is a relative term, everyone has a different frame of reference.

#14     Jun 9, 2006
  5. No but the food is better

#15     Jun 9, 2006
  6. If I remember correctly, Maslow,a historic researcher of human behaviors, created a basic structure of human motivation based off of needs. His theory says that the needs must be fullfilled from the bottom up, one can only work on accomplishing one need at a time, and there cannot be a "skip" in the order.

At the bottom are the physical needs. Survival needs if you will, from food, water, shelter, etc.

Next on Maslow's pyramid is the need of security. Third, is the need of self-esteem. Fourth, the need of Self-belonging. And finally, fifth is the need of self-fulfillment.

From this, I believe that an individual's happiness is defined as where on this pyramid they are currently or, better yet, how many needs they have met . And with some simple thinking, it becomes clear that these different human behavioral needs can be satisfied easier with money than others.

I hope this is helpful, and if anyone wants to know more about any of this I will gladly respond with more details. I have the text at home.

-RT

Also, no one has to agree with Maslow's theory...but I do believe we can all come to some sort of an agreement about a correlation between human needs and happiness.

#16     Jun 9, 2006
  7. nassau

nassau

money can't buy you happiness but it can buy you a good time..
    happiness is a way of life.
    similiar to being tickled you may laugh but that doesn't mean you are happy.

all have a good week end, hope your trades went well.

w

#17     Jun 9, 2006
  8. Money may not buy hapiness but it sure is a good down payment.
    If I hadn't made it in trading my life would've been filled with busting my butt to try and get by. Without money, life sucks.

#18     Jun 9, 2006
  9. Here we go again... another dumb question.

This question can NOT be answered clearly, just as in the previous question, YES it CAN buy happiness. The better question is "WHO does money buy happiness for" or "How long can money sustain happiness" or "How does happiness come from money" or "Why do a lot of people strive to gain education in the hope to bring in a lot of money", or any of that crap.

This question is frankly annoying now.

People who don't have money are going to say no it doesn't buy happiness to make themselves feel better and all that fantasy life BS.

Money is what we get an education for, without money you get no education, without money you don't feed your kids, without money you do not live a normal life in the USA or many other non third-world countries. You want to see what no money gets you, I could have rewind the time to a week ago when driving past the mall and seeing someone's book bag on the sidewalk with a sign that read "No where else to go, no food, VERY TIRED, need work. Please help." On a cardboard box sitting across his or her tiny bookbag. No one there to be found though, very sad, and you know that person doesn't have money, and isn't very happy right now.

I'm going to be interested in this thread to see if anyone has gained knowledge on the subject.

This question is pretty stupid though because it depends on the person him or herself. It's the wrong question to ask frankly because it can be argued, it's like doing a RICH vs. POOR type thread, it's all BS anyways.

#19     Jun 9, 2006
  10. Hopefully as traders, the people here have a statistical inclination.

I will say that money makes it much more probable that you will be happy, but doesnt guarantee it.

Like the homeless kid on the street holding a sign of desperation, id say he has a negative expectancy for being happy. But on any given day, he may still have a winner and be happy. But over all???

Give me a billion dollars tomorrow and I guarantee you I will be a lot happier the next day :) Money = freedom, security, the best health care, free time to pursue what you love the most, and of course, 2 full body massages a day by a super model with a happy ending. How can anyone say money doesnt buy happiness? :D

If you were to poll a million people ask them if they would be happier if they were given a billion dollars tomorrow, I bet you at least 99% would say yes, and the other 1% are crazy.

#20     Jun 9, 2006