Does money buy happiness?

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by profitplay, Jun 9, 2006.

Does money buy happiness?

1. YES

31 vote(s)
    68.9%
  2. NO

14 vote(s)
    31.1%
  1. Does money buy happiness?

The Meaning of Life
    by Cukey Sapodillo

The American businessman was at an outdoor fresh food market at a coastal Costa Rican farm village
    when a small truck with filled with boxes of fruit pulled up. The American complimented the driver
    on the quality of his fruit and asked how long it took to pick it all. The Costa Rican farmer
    replied, only a little while. The American then asked why didn't he pick more fruit? The Mexican
    said he had enough to support his family's immediate needs. The American then asked, but what do
    you do with the rest of your time? The Costa Rican farmer said, "I sleep late, tend to the
    orchard, pick fruit, have lunch, play with my children, take siesta with my wife, Maria, stroll
    into the village each evening and play guitar with my amigos, I have a full and busy life, señor."

The American scoffed, "I am a Harvard MBA and could help you. You should pick more fruit, plant
    more trees, spend more time farming and with the proceeds, buy a bigger orchard, and with the
    proceeds from the bigger orchard you could buy several orchards. Eventually you would have a fleet
    of trucks. Instead of selling your harvest at fruit stalls in small villages you would sell
    directly to city markets, and eventually open your own fruit exporting business. You would control
    the product and distribution."

"You would need to hire orchard and distribution managers, leave this small coastal village and
    move to San Jose, then Mexico City, then Los Angles, then New York City where you will run your
    expanding enterprise."

The Costa Rican farmer asked, "But señor, how long will this all take?"

To which the American replied, "15-20 years."

"But what then, señor?"

The American laughed and said: "That's the best part. When the time is right you would announce an
    IPO and sell your company stock to the public and become very rich, you would make millions."

"Millions, señor? Then what?"

The American said, "Then you would retire. Move to a small coastal farming village where you would
    sleep late, tend to your orchard, pick fruit, have lunch, play with your grandchildren, take
    siestas with your wife, stroll into the village each evening and play guitar with your amigos.

2. see that IS the key......

most people are unhappy because they don't have enough money to support their family's immediate needs.....

You just proved that money does buy happiness

3. eagle

eagle

LOL. I love this story.

4. losers have low expectactions.

Know the difference.

5. EqtTrdr,

You made some great points on the other thread.

"try having "healthy kids" without money to keep them healthy... try having a "solid and loving relationship" when all you do is fight over bills..... try being able to "pursue your passion" without the financial means to live day to day or depending on what that passion is, invest enough money to see it to fruition...."

"Money = Happiness = Lesson over..."

-EqtTrdr

6. Does money but happiness?

If you have to ask that question, you are probably poor and unhappy.

:D

7. just goes along the lines of the story posted from this thread poster who was trying to prove the opposite is true...

8. qxr1011

qxr1011

===Does money buy happiness?===

IMHO it depends on the definition of happiness.

9. eagle

eagle

Everyone does need money to cover basic needs, beyond that there's no proof that money can buy happiness. People seem to believe that they will be happy when they have lots of money but the rich knew the answer, it wasn't the case.

10. Happiness is relative. If you're not happy in your personal life money will not help you. Money can offer you security and that could contribute greatly to your happiness and peace of mind.

I know I was a hell of a lot happier before I took a 30% pay cut a year ago.

#10     Jun 9, 2006