Does Lightspeed accept Canadian Accounts?

Discussion in 'Retail Brokers' started by GotherL, Aug 21, 2018.

1. GotherL

GotherL

As the title says...

2. No ....... Robert Morse can confirm.

3. GotherL

GotherL

A pity. My only other option would be IB Canada but I am not sure if I can avoid the pattern daytrading rule with them.

4. what are the issues with pattern day trader?

5. Robert Morse

Robert Morse Sponsor

No sir. We are not registered with your regulators.

6. PDT does not apply to IB Canada accounts.

7. GotherL

GotherL

That is only if you trade Canadian companies I believe which are pretty boring except for the marijuana stocks atm.

8. yrbium

yrbium

PDT is a U.S law, it doesn't apply in Canada. you can day trade the U.S market from Canada, no problem.

9. GotherL

GotherL

How does the SEC day trading rule affect Canadians?
    Because your U.S. securities exchange trades are cleared in the US, the SEC Pattern Day Trading rules are applicable. In this regard, if you effect 3 stock or equity option "day trades" on a US securities exchange within a 5 day period, IB Canada will designate you as a "pattern day trader". The "pattern day trader" designation will require that you maintain a minimum of $25,000 (US dollars) to continue trading.

Source: https://www.interactivebrokers.com/de/general/education/faqs/canada.php?ib_entity=de#invest

• PDT rules don't apply to Canadian accounts with BMO Investorline trading US stocks and options.
    • I even think PDT rules don't apply to Canadian accounts with IB - but I might be wrong.

#10     Aug 22, 2018