does it work

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Mdtbyk, Apr 11, 2018.

1. Mdtbyk

Mdtbyk

hey
    if i have a strategy that works for me on the ES will it also work on the EUR/USD?

2. kandlekid

kandlekid

Who knows ? But better to assume that it does not. Anyway, if you have a strategy that "works" in one market, why would you want to attempt another ?

3. Mdtbyk

Mdtbyk

its boring already need to do and try new things. and also maybe it won't work in a few years time ;)

4. Xela

Xela

Why do you want to trade EUR/USD (rather than, for example, another index future, or even E6 futures) using a strategy that works for you on ES?

It depends what kind of strategy it is: in my opinion, the faster-moving it is, the more likely it is to "work".

On an intraday basis, for example, there's quite a bit of similarity between the movements of ES and EUR/USD, and from an unlabelled chart it might even be pretty difficult to tell them apart, but if you look at each over a year, the story isn't usually the same at all: indices rise, overall, over the years, but the same isn't true of currency-pairs.

I used to trade EUR/USD and GBP/USD, a long time ago. It was no surprise at all that the strategies that worked for me on those instruments also work for E6 and B6. What was slightly more surprising was that they work just as well for NQ and nearly as well for CL.

Some strategies are more or less "timeless" and can be made to work (at least on an intraday basis) in almost any highly liquid market; others very much less so.

Strictly speaking, it isn't "strategies" that "work", anyway: it's traders.

5. wrbtrader

wrbtrader

Seems like an odd question to ask strangers.

I highly recommend you just backtest your strategy and then trade with a small size on Eur/Usd currency or EuroFX futures to determine that answer yourself. You'll mostly likely trust your own results than the answers of strangers.

In fact, whenever switching to another trading instrument...you should do the above procedure always prior to any real money trades.

It's common for successful traders to trade more than one trading instrument not because of any issues to do with "boredom". Its more to do with the fact to being prepare to trade something else when things aren't going well with Emini ES futures. For example, if you start a drawdown period in Emini ES futures...you can easily begin trading something else that's profitable for you until market conditions are suitable for you to trade the Emini ES futures.

This is a type of diversification that successful traders do but should only be done when you're profible after the backtesting.

wrbtrader

Last edited: Apr 11, 2018
    Xela likes this.
  6. fan27

fan27

That is like asking..."I have a friend who is really good at playing basketball, is he also good at playing football?" Of course the answer is...we have no idea. We don't know your friend!

Mdtbyk likes this.
  7. Ditto!

8. Mdtbyk

Mdtbyk

i will forsake backtest it at least 6/12 month like a tested at the time the ES just was curious how you guys out there see using the same strategies on other trading tools

9. Mdtbyk

Mdtbyk

but here you know my friend its EUR/USD EVERYONE knows him;)

10. Handle123

Handle123

Based on risk management, all my systems for scalping/day trading will work on any time frame/any market under 60 minutes with minor adaptions. I see same patterns and use same percentages of risk and targets/runners, never trail stops. I believe in more of the concept am trading human emotions, and even HFTs or other math equations are doing the same with exception of perhaps they are unaware of what they doing except looking for what works. Some markets work religiously better using charting patterns than indicators and others better on indicators where some patterns simply don't come up except indicators, but risk management tends to make all generally the same percentages for me. Long time is very different as Commodity system does not work on stocks but stock system works on commodities.

But unless you backtest deeply and many years going back, you never now how bad drawdowns might be.

#10     Apr 11, 2018
    Xela likes this.