Does it help to work in NYC?

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by windsorphd, Dec 14, 2006.

1. zdreg

zdreg

quote from saxon22
    "Senior citizens live in Florida because it is a cheap state to live and they do not require much to be happy. They, however, need morons to feed them, amuse them and most importantly: change their diapers and clean their asses. apparently, this is where you fill the void. "

saxon 22 are you lacking completely in empathy to write the above dribble. old people live in florida because they desure a warmer climate, caretakers for the elderly are not morons and sometimes work under difficult conditions. some day you will be old or injured and will need a "moron" to take care of you.

you and the eagle... are two of a kind.
    start PMing each other. it could be the start of a life long friendship.

#51     Dec 16, 2006
  2. qxr1011

qxr1011

Yes, definetly Arizona has its advantages !

The only disadvantage for me: there is no an ocean, or a sea there...

#52     Dec 16, 2006
  3. qxr1011

qxr1011

=== ugly women ===

There is an old Russian saying: there are no ugly women, only sometimes there is not enough vodka...:)

#53     Dec 16, 2006
    beginner66 likes this.

4. Eagle488 got it pretty much together about living & working in NYC. NYC is okay to for a little while when you're young and single, but the City gets real old really fast.

Eagle488... where in Florida do you live ? I thinking of moving either to Southern California or Southern Florida.

#54     Dec 16, 2006
  5. There are many states that possess warm climate, so perhaps the swamps, alligators, humidity, or insects are the aspects the elderly are seeking. maybe it is the cultural aspect of disneyland, you tell me.
    As for the caretakers being morons. I am sure it is a demanding and stressful job. After all, not too many people could wipe off asses all day, and do all kinds of disgusting procedures like helping somebody pee. It is a stressful job, no doubt. I would also think it is a depressing profession. Imagine Working all day long thinking, I could have been somebody.... also, last time I checked no Ph.D. was required to become a caretaker. Quiet the contrary, have you talked to some of them lately???? I could have more stimulating conversations with my TV.
    yes probably, I will need their services, still it will not change the status quo of them being morons.
    As for pm eagle. I leave you the pleasure of forming lasting relationships with people like eagle. Come to think of it, maybe you guys should both apply for a position as caretakers in a local senior citizen house. From your posts I am sure you both qualify....barely.:D :D :D :D :D

#55     Dec 16, 2006
  6. First off, I find your attitude about the elderly disgusting. If you want to be angry with them for where they have placed younger people in society, fine. But this 'screw the old' mentality is obviously the mark of someone who is in their early twenties and is a bit full of their own invincibility. Check back with us in a few years and be humbled, as life does to all of us in some way or another. From the tenure of your post, I am certain that you are a leading patron of the metropolitan opera and have sat through an entire ring cycle. Doubt it. Wiki it if you need help.

Second off, you're about as dim as you are intolerant. Do a little number crunching to find out what effect cost of living does with a 50% post-tax haircut vs a 25% post-tax haircut for cost of living expenses (including taxes) over 10 years of a $500,000 salary. There's an annual income of $50,000 for sitting on your buns with a risk account of $250,000.

Third off, there are many different levels of caretakers. Yes, wiping pee and poo is what people who couldn't hack an education do. But how is that any different from being a garbageman? As for the rest of them, the way things are going, you had best hope that you can afford them as those services in a place like new york city will probably be oversubscribed and largely used up by the aging population which expects their government to take care of them and has consistently legislated it to do so. By the time you need those services, do you think your benefits will be that generous? Again, folly.

Fourth, go do a little research on demographic trends and Florida. The retirees you think of have largely died off, or are doing so. Young families, mostly those who can't afford the northeast, are moving here in droves. Florida is a job engine for the united states, and people come here to work. Its California redux, just a bit more humid. And frankly, only the well heeled retirees can afford to retire here any more.

But if you wish to end up living as a slave to the city for the sake of fashion, please, by all means, don't let us deprive you of your rights. Someone has to be the sucker who pays for everyone else. The rest of us, who have figured it out, have already left.

#56     Dec 16, 2006

7. the traditions of places are part of their color. In AZ the occean has had a major influence. Zonies are renownded in California as an identifiable group ffrom times past to the present.
    arizona has the five C's and always in summers there was a migration to the coast.

Now an overlay of professional culture ad air conditioning has suplanted the old west.

I could never live in NYC but I did what was "normal" in those days when I put in my cosmopolitan time. This thread doesn't deal with that part of the cultural aspects although I know it has survived what is talked about.

I did the Morris Twp and Greenwich thing instead and used six metropolitan clubs to get by. Hoboken for me was a sailing haven because the 12 meter fund did tank testing at Davidson Lab; otherwise City Island iswhere I got boat repairs done and had my mooring in Greenwich.

Arizona has an equal complex of air sports compared to that is the nautical infrastructure of the New York area. Thers no NYSR here but there is an informal conjunction of non-natives drawn by the sheer beauty and mobility of desert livng. American Art in its many forms is more centered in the Rockies than where the Establishment used to be. The Establisment has long gone past its prime in te East.

You can get a plane out of AZ about as frequently as a commmuter train from the periphery of NYC and the ride is just about as long in most cases.

The 1/2 day of trading here is the money part. AZ's balance of paymens is wolrd renowned; it is such a wonderful situation to live in where surpluses of capital and tax surpluses keep pilling up year after year. Homes, commerce, infrastructure, medicine, sports, recreation, etc.. Most of our land in the state is owned by the feds, the state, 17 native american tribes, ranchers and mining. The view is not something you have to buy here; there are 12,000 foot peaks in every direction and every sunrise and sun set is like those in Arizona Highways Magazine.(snow capped this time of year).

#57     Dec 16, 2006
  8. You moved from Chicago to NYC? Why???

I've never seen anyone do that- you're the first.
    A few years back I was renting a place on Michigan Ave for $2100/month. For that price, I got a luxuriously large two-bedroom apartment, walking distance from everything, and giant wall-to-wall picture windows providing breathtaking views of the lake.

Then I visited friends in Manhattan who were paying the exact same rent as I was. These guys were living in this dingy little closet, maybe 1/3 the size of my place, with trash strewn all over their sidewalks and noise pollution galore. Why would anyone make <i>that</i> switch?

#58     Dec 16, 2006
  9. You could say the same thing about Delaware. Or Vietnam for that matter, etc.

#59     Dec 16, 2006
  10. FITENOB

FITENOB

NYC quality of life is not that great. Over crowded, dirty streets, overpriced everything. On the plus side NYC has cultural upside & networking perks. But as a trader all the networking & smchoozing will only make you lazy. NYC is exciting for a person thats just starting out their career...after a few years that excitement turns in to pure annoyance.

#60     Dec 16, 2006