does it EVER make sense to buy and hold a 3X bull ETF ?

Discussion in 'ETFs' started by trc4949, Jun 3, 2016.

1. Buy1Sell2

Buy1Sell2

One more point to make here---- The reason that performance will tend to lag a bit on the 3X futures versus the physical commodity is the fact that futures contracts have decay of carrying charges etc to overcome. Gains will be a little less when up and losses perhaps quite a bit greater when down. ----Once again though, you used physical versus futures where I used futures against futures which is the appropriate method.

#71     Apr 12, 2017
  2. Sig

Sig

Let's be clear here because even reading charts seems to be challenging to you. I showed you a chart where the price of gold went up 3%, the 3X fund went down 7%. At this point it's clear you don't understand futures either (you do know that futures matches spot on the day of expiration, don't you?), so let me explain. If you'd had a 3 times margin future position you would have had a 9% positive return. If you invested in the 3X fund you would have received a 7% negative return. In no universe does that even come close to making your point, unless your point is that you're completely clueless! Once again, I've shown multiple examples that show you're wrong and you have yet to show even a single example where you're explanation is correct, let alone display that you've read a prospectus or modeled anything.

At this point it's clear that you're on the far left of the Dunning Kruger effect curve, you simply don't have enough intelligence to have the ability to realize how little intelligence you have. Please, invest away with your incorrect information, I only hope to be your counter party! We'll all be ignoring you here from this point on though, you not only have nothing to add but you're intellectually lazy as well.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2017
    #72     Apr 12, 2017
  3. vanzandt

vanzandt

8 pages of "blah blah blah" when one post would have sufficed.
    The answer is f'ing NO!
    Close the thread. :D

#73     Apr 12, 2017
  4. Sig

Sig

You're right. I get carried away sometimes and I'm clearly slower than most to realize I'm trying to reason with the human equivalent of a chat bot!

#74     Apr 12, 2017
    JKG77 and vanzandt like this.
  5. Buy1Sell2

Buy1Sell2

The fact that you don't recognize the reason that physical underlying cannot be compared with futures makes this a conversation not worth continuance. -Most readers will understand it though. The truth is that it certainly does make sense at times to buy and hold a 3X Bull ETF. ( By the way, GLD is up .92 year over year, not 3.02).
    ---Final mic drop---

#75     Apr 12, 2017
  6. vanzandt

vanzandt

Well, not sure how different people define buy and hold... but here's Direxion 3x etf Gold Miners Bull and Bear for the last 12 months. One (Bull) went from $36 to $8. The (Bear) went from $190 to $15.
    Here's a list of all their sector 3X ETFS. Its all the same. Take your pick.
    https://www.thebalance.com/a-list-of-3x-leveraged-etfs-1214924
    These things are made for very short term hedging. PERIOD. To advise otherwise is foolish.
    gb.jpg

gbr.jpg

#76     Apr 12, 2017
    murray t turtle likes this.
  7. %%
    NOT sure i see the swine flu connection, but you made some good points; maybe i should study the gold chart more on this thread ?? LOL

Right on holding a ''Leveraged + Inverse ETFs Kill Por.....'' ANY derivative is like another derivative , in the sense, you better find a good trend. So '' yes it makes sense to buy + hold , if you know how to trade/invest''

NOT sure if it makes sense to hold them for daytrading,LOL, but op did not title/name it that

#77     Apr 13, 2017