does it EVER make sense to buy and hold a 3X bull ETF ?

Discussion in 'ETFs' started by trc4949, Jun 3, 2016.

1. From Stock Charts.com... graphs of SLV,USLV and TNA,IWM. One where there was not a profound uptrend, the other has that. Suggests to me that rather than "long term B&H", better to attempt to "time" the silver move.

#41     Feb 20, 2017
  2. %%
    They split some of that stuff so much............................................ Maybe one reason some hate TA so much LOL

#42     Feb 21, 2017
  3. Think of what you might lose,NOT what you might make !!!

#43     Apr 9, 2017
    murray t turtle likes this.
  4. JKG77

JKG77

LETFs are path-dependent realized vol products. They should be avoided if you don't know how to model them.

#44     Apr 9, 2017
  5. %%
    Good pointsTrenderNurse;
    think of what you could lose ;+ lose in opportunity cost$, if all put money in bank CDs only

#45     Apr 10, 2017
  6. Buy1Sell2

Buy1Sell2

Most people trade futures with leverage of 3 times and higher, so yes it makes sense.

#46     Apr 10, 2017
  7. %%
    CS called in the note, so to speak ,on UWTI[ 3X oil uptrend ]; still had plenty of good trends, good volume, but they never raised margins.LOL I called up Janus + asked the if they were going to split it again, when it got real Low; Janus said that would be up to Credit Suisse.

I just found out the stock market closed during WW I according to IBD chart book -when it opened back up it gapped up a lot; a real killer for the leveraged shorts

#47     Apr 10, 2017
  8. Sig

Sig

Which do not behave in the same way as a 3x ETF, so not an apples to apples comparison. The times you get into trouble with leveraged ETFs are the times you don't understand the difference.

#48     Apr 10, 2017
    murray t turtle and JKG77 like this.
  9. Buy1Sell2

Buy1Sell2

Won't get into any more trouble, and likely less, with an ETF versus futures.

#49     Apr 10, 2017
  10. Sig

Sig

I thought it would be uncontroversial to suggest one not trade something they don't understand. Apparently not.

#50     Apr 10, 2017
    i960 and murray t turtle like this.