Does Interactivebrokers.com support Give-Up?

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by dabao91, Apr 1, 2007.

1. You obviously don't understand IB or their clientele. I pay them $1000+ in commish *daily* yet the last time I called them was maybe 7-8 mos. ago. That's not to say I don't get pissed at them. If you want hand-holding go to schwab or merrill or some other rip-offs.

#11     Apr 10, 2007
  2. That is impressive. Generating that amount of commissions on a daily basis, it's a wonder you find time to pee, let alone post replies on EliteTrader.

#12     Apr 10, 2007
  3. CalScholar - Thank you for the compliment if it was intended as such. I registered today because I just heard about this board on the Yahoo KRY board today. Then I saw complaints about IB and chose to respond. I am a copywriter/travel writer, so , hopefully, I don't need an editor.

#13     Apr 10, 2007
  4. As someone who pays IB almost as much daily as you do...
    I find this hard to believe...
    Because I've dealt with Customer Service at least 20-30 times in the last year.

You must just take it... no matter what it is...
    Which is not necessarily a bad thing.

It's important to point out that IB's Business Model...
    Dictates barely adequate Customer Service.
    Lousy Customer Service is ** by design **.

They have 500 employees...
    And make a Net profit before taxes in the $600 to $800 million range.

Even if one makes the extreme assumption that an employeee costs $100,000/year...
    IB could CHOSE to hire 200 more people at a cost of $20,000,000...
    And resolve most of their software, service, and security issues.

Doing this would drop their income by only about 3%...
    But they CHOSE not to...
    So most of their "issues" are by design.

IB's achilles heel is that once you get down to about $0.003/share in stock trading...
    10-20% differences in commission cease to matter.

Not if... but when a major player takes on IB directly...
    There is a HUGE pent up demand for diversifying to another broker...
    For example, moving 50% of assets to a direct competitor.

#14     Apr 10, 2007
  5. I've been saying for a very long time that a HUGE void exists in the marketplace for a an electronic multi-asset global broker with satisfactory custmer service i.e. IB's current biz model PLUS good customer service and a modern platform, not the TWS junk.

I can't wait for this void to be filled.

#15     Apr 10, 2007
  6. You are exactly correct.

IB's unwillingness to spend more money to provide and/or improve basic services...
    In the context of having > 50% profit margins...
    Is a rigid, cultish, ideological position.

It makes no business sense.

For example...
    I have a some paper Stock Certificates worth about $50,000 (versus a 7 figure account)...
    Of a major NASDAQ listed stock that trades about 3 million shares/day.

IB refuses to take these Certificates under any conditions...
    Even though they MUST be providing this service for Correspondent Clearing firms.

Charge me $100 or whatever...
    But provide a Basic Service for goodness sake...
    Because someday I will take 50% of my business elsewhere...
    And STIFFING my firm on those Stock Certificates will cost IB well into 6 figures.

#16     Apr 10, 2007
  7. Exactly what problem did they give up on?

#17     Apr 10, 2007
  8. My commissions aren't quite that big but its over a year since I called customer service (and that was an ISP problem).

Those who think a "handholding" discount broker with worldwide reach and better systems than IB's is coming soon are dreaming. Sure its a nice dream but its not one that's likely to be seen any time soon.

Dreams are free at least. :)

#18     Apr 10, 2007
  9. No one wants "handholding"...we want basic customer service and a solid reliable trading platform.

Sadly, the IB fans and the IB staff use this "handholding" Red Herring to aid adddressing their horrendeous customer service and trading platform.

#19     Apr 10, 2007
  10. #20     Apr 10, 2007