Does IB negotiate commissions?

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by Humble Investor, Apr 24, 2020.

1. I pay around $4k a month in commissions to IB. Has anyone managed to successfully negotiate with IB?

Onra likes this.
  2. FrankInLa

FrankInLa

If you are an institutional client then yes. Although IB does not openly advertise this. But 4k sounds quite small to qualify as institutional client. Also, you would be considered a professional for all intents and purposes and pay market data rates as professional.

murray t turtle and DaveV like this.
  3. SanMiguel

SanMiguel

They have two tiered rates and you have to do over a certain amount to get the lower

Onra likes this.
  4. R1234

R1234

I was paying approx that same monthly amount at IBKR institutional. I asked them multiple times and they said it is what it is. So I moved almost all my money to Fidelity and Schwab where it is zero commission for all participants.

If they want to keep their customer base, they need to wake up and realize there are lots of free alternatives now.

5. FrankInLa

FrankInLa

They are not free and as many experience now they can be net costlier than with commission based brokers that allow direct market access and charge a fraction of the margin rates and borrow rates that the no commission brokers charge. But hey, the information is out there, everyone can make up their own mind.

6. d08

d08

Free isn't really free. Sounds like you don't measure execution.

They'd rather would need to keep traders in tiers, so that every month isn't like I'm just another new customer. I can't remember the last time I went below 300k per month, yet I start in the bottom tier every time. Loyalty and consistency should count for something.

Fx-Game and FrankInLa like this.
  7. R1234

R1234

!!!

8. hafez50

hafez50

My friend trades 100k a day vol and was with IB for 15 years. he moved to schwab 6 months ago and said the free commissions and platform is awesome and he gets prices improvement with mkt orders 90% of the time

9. Do you have personal experience with this being successful?

10. R1234

R1234

same at Fidelity. Price improvement on a good portion of trades.

#10     Apr 24, 2020