Does IB hunt stops?

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by lindq, Jan 5, 2011.

1. Stupid question, but if the book is thick, how are you able to buy the bid unless the market moves against you? Luck, or a fast computer program?

#41     Jan 8, 2011
  2. pookie

pookie

Great post, automated. Thank you. I learned a lot. Could you please explain this part a bit more:

"The stop level shows a pending volume of 100 contracts and very light volume above and below that level."

How do you see this?

#42     Jan 8, 2011
  3. Pookie, "how do you see this". I am not sure if you are being sarcastic.
    If not, here is what I mean.

On the CL DOM price, say you have ask price (number of contracts offered): 80.93 (21), 80.94 (32), 80.95 (14), 80.96 (230), 80.97 (11) and so on. Current price is hanging around 80.92 or so for a while (a while in futures probably is a minute or two), and the 80.96 level volume holds consistently near that high level, this in my opinion indicates that resistance is at 80.96. Since there is again low volume above that level, once the price breaks through that price level it will spike higher.

I hope i made it clear enough.

#43     Jan 8, 2011
  4. pookie

pookie

Nope, not being sarcastic. I really didn't know. You made it plenty clear for me. Thank you! :)

#44     Jan 8, 2011
  5. I have no clue what you are talking about.

TH can see all posted orders (IB or other) and they can see all internalized orders before they post to the market. This is very easy/simple.

I never said IB was hunting stops - just that TH can see all the orders from IB.

#45     Jan 8, 2011
  6. bigpapi

bigpapi

I know a guy who worked for a "low commission" firm, not IB, I mentioned this post to him and he confirmed that he was instructed to hunt for stops, would like to hear from ex or current employees of online brokers

#46     Jan 8, 2011
  7. TRS

TRS

Gunning stops. What a joke. The instrument you trade is going to be pushed to take out your little trade. Too funny.
    Considering a minority make majority money of course stops get hit. I'm just off to sweep my trading room for listening devices.

#47     Jan 8, 2011
  8. Any shmuck can hunt for stops if they are willing to move the market to a given price.

wtf does hunt even mean? are there any real traders here, or are you all just posting nonsense for kicks?

#48     Jan 9, 2011
  9. Ninja Trader does work with IB. Only draw back is you will need to keep your computer running all the time so use a UPS.

The benefit, all stop and limit orders are on your computer and not seen by IB. All automation and AI are on your computer and not seen by IB.

Also, NT is a much better front end than anything IB has for free. Someone did say they would help program something for me in NT to run while I am asleep, but I have not heard back from them.

#49     Jan 9, 2011
  10. Happened again today...placed a conditional order (when price was around 11580) to "Submit sell order when 'Default' >= 11598".

Executed 1 point from the high. Edit: for Emini DOW YM

#50     Jan 10, 2011