Does IB hunt stops?

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by lindq, Jan 5, 2011.

1. byteme

byteme

That's an understatement.

#11     Jan 6, 2011
  2. whatever homey

your the public relations guys for interactive brokers...that is what they say to the public...

with electronic trading only the programmers of the software knows for sure. 90% of trading is done by algorithms...and those algorithms are programmed by professional market makers and hedge funds.

with electronic trading there are no 'regulations' it's wild west market and SEC can't regulate electronic markets.

there are no rules ..it's wild west market do you want like HFT etc.

before the trading rules were set by the participating traders.

#12     Jan 6, 2011
  3. jharmon

jharmon

If anyone has ANY evidence to show that any IB on a recognized exchange-traded market has "hunted stops" then they should show it now.

By evidence I mean:
    _Full_ details of stop (including when stop was placed, and exact time stop was activated/executed)
    Tape transactions +- 30 seconds of when stop was hit
    and/or OpenBook History +- 30 seconds of when stop was hit.

It's easy and cheap to get such data.
    http://www.nyxdata.com/Data-Products/Custom-TAQ

#13     Jan 6, 2011
  4. My trading system is build to take out your stops. It's not IB who is taking out your stops, it's me.

#14     Jan 6, 2011
  5. only maket makers like goldman sachs can move markets....goldman sachs has access to FED's money at 0% unlimited buying power and are agents for the FED. evil axis of the market maker. not even hedge funds can move markets. if the market maker put a axis on it.

and small punks hedge funds not in the goldman sachs network try to manipulate markets they get investigated by the SEC or manipulating markets. and fined couple of millions.

#15     Jan 6, 2011

6. What if the stop is a stop limit order?

LOL

#16     Jan 6, 2011
  7. I wonder after reading this thread, I really wonder, why nobody asked you about the size of your stops.

Can you give a few specific examples? Entry price, B/S and stop price that was hit?

Again, I wonder why people engage in totally abstract conversations of this kind. For example, the cases below are completely different:

(1) UP market, long stock, tight stop
    (2) UP market, long stock, far away stop
    (3) UP market, short stock, tight stop
    (4) UP market, short stock, far away stop
    (5) DOWN market, short stock, tight stop
    (6) DOWN market, short stock, far away stop
    (7) DOWN market, long stock, tight stop
    (8) DOWN market, long stock, far away stop

Clearly,any losses in cases (3) and (7) cannot be due to hunting. This is due to volatility. Same goes for losses in cases (2) and (6). No broker can move the market so far away without taking considerable risks to hit the stop of some Joe. This requires some type of conspiracy between various brokers to generate a correction. This was the case of many investigations in the past and was actually done in futures but it does not concern just one broker.

Cases (4) and (8) are unlikely to be from hunting.

Remains: cases (1) and (5). This can be either due to volatility or hunting. But the hunter maybe someone like an HFT robot, another trader, another broker. hard to prove own broker is hunting.

P.S. I didn't want to add this but I must. If anyone trades like in cases (1) and (5) they get what they deserve. This is the gambler's style. People with a lot of money are happy to take your little money. Learn your lesson. Start position trading. Learn to live with the stress for making more money.

#17     Jan 6, 2011
  8. I knew it. :D you little devil you...

#18     Jan 6, 2011
  9. Come on folks. Cycles.

#19     Jan 6, 2011
  10. Hey Def,

If I enter a non-marketable hidden order, does it still get flashed to TimberHill and/or other market venues?

I'm not one to buy into the conspiracies, but this is becoming uncanny how my hidden orders get pennied despite being submitted when they are half a percent or more out of the money.

#20     Jan 6, 2011