Does IB ever respond to e-mails?

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by Mvic, Jul 9, 2003.

1. mskl

mskl

misc,

If you have multiple monitors - try moving the TWS to the first monitor and see if this helps. (this has happened to many)

If this is the problem then once the TWS is moved to monitor #1 - then you should be able to subsequently move it anywhere else.

good luck.

#11     Jul 10, 2003
  2. Mvic

Mvic

Looks like my e-mails are getting misfiltered somehow. Either way IB is working for me.

#12     Jul 10, 2003
  3. FinStat

FinStat

there are many good things about IB. the order desk is not one of them. the executions are shoddy at best. fortunately this is a rare necessity and the electronic execution is choice.

#13     Jul 10, 2003
  4. ib is an arrogant sob

#14     Jul 10, 2003
  5. def

def Sponsor

LOL, and I assume you get that attitude from me ? Steve ? the other programmers that have gone out of there way to assist on these boards?

misctrader,

if ben didn't solve your problem, also try this as it may help with speed/java problems that may arise on some video cards whose drivers create conflicts.......

Disable Direct Draw for the standalone TWS. (instructions below)
    Upgrade to the latest production version of Java Runtime. (1.4.1_03 .... I
    would not recommend the Beta 1.4.2 at this time)
    Upgrade to the latest video drivers for your hardware.

To disable Directdraw for the Standalone TWS.

To do this, right click on the Trader Workstation 4.0 icon and choose
    "Properties". Then click on the "Shortcut" tab. In the "Target" field add
    the following line before the -jar

-Dsun.java2d.noddraw=true

So that the entire line looks something like this...
    (assuming that you have java 1.4.1_02 installed)

(DO NOT CHANGE THE J2RE REFERENCE.. JUST ADD THE ABOVE LINE IN THE APPROPRIATE LOCATION IN THE STRING THAT ALREADY EXISTS ON YOUR MACHINE)

"C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.1_02\bin\javaw.exe" -Dsun.java2d.noddraw=true -jar C:\JTS\jts.jar C:\JTS

#15     Jul 10, 2003
  6. chipware

chipware

Just out of curiousity, why java instead of C++ ?

I've never seen a Java app that looked or ran as good as it's equivalent C++ app. Java is slow, buggy, and ugly. I don't understand why people still choose Java for GUI apps.

You might say portability, but how many people do you have that actually use Solaris, Linux, Mac, etc? I'd bet 95 percent of your users are Windows users.

#16     Jul 11, 2003
  7. Thank You IB for Java!!

I run it on Mac OS X and wouldn't do anything else but maybe a unix. Wouldn't you prefer to run your order entry software on a machine that just will not crash? On OS X, TWS is fast and rock stable.

#17     Jul 11, 2003
  8. def

def Sponsor

Actually if running on Mac you are running on UNIX.

5% of our client base is a significant number. Keep in mind many institutions run on Unix as well.

java: outside of unix scripts my programming days are over but based upon what many programmers on these boards say, well written java code is just as good as one written in C++. If interested in discussing the merits of C++ vs Java, I think it's best to start a new thread rather than drive this off topic.

#18     Jul 11, 2003
  9. huh ...

#19     Jul 11, 2003
  10. chipware

chipware

That's debatable... but I digress...

As far as being off-topic goes, since the original question of this thread was answered, I didn't see the harm in going off-topic.

But, back to my original question, why the preference for Java? You didn't actually answer it.

#20     Jul 11, 2003