Does God Suffer From Vanity?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Thunderdog, Dec 12, 2006.

1. volente_00

volente_00

Thunderdog, why do you go out of your way to make so many threads about GOD if you do not even believe in him/she/it ? What event in your life made you turn your back on GOD ? Do your parents believe in GOD or were you brought up atheist ?

#41     Dec 13, 2006
  2. Whenever I see what appears to me to be a contradiction, I feel the need to pick at it, much like pulling a loose string on an old sweater or a threadbare pair of pants. Sometimes, if the string or thread is sufficiently loose and if you are diligent, you will find that the pants no longer have a leg to stand on.

As an aside, "so many threads about GOD?" I can only recall a couple or so that I started. Care to refresh my memory?

#42     Dec 13, 2006
  3. neophyte321

neophyte321 Guest

it a matter of how one responds to worship. Consider Barry Bonds vs. Walter Payton.

wor·ship /ˈwɜrʃɪp/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[wur-ship] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation noun, verb, -shiped, -ship·ing or (especially British) -shipped, -ship·ping.
    –noun 1. reverent honor and homage paid to God or a sacred personage, or to any object regarded as sacred.
    2. formal or ceremonious rendering of such honor and homage: They attended worship this morning.
    3. adoring reverence or regard: excessive worship of business success.
    4. the object of adoring reverence or regard.
    5. (initial capital letter) British. a title of honor used in addressing or mentioning certain magistrates and others of high rank or station (usually prec. by Your, His, or Her).
    –verb (used with object) 6. to render religious reverence and homage to.
    7. to feel an adoring reverence or regard for (any person or thing).
    –verb (used without object) 8. to render religious reverence and homage, as to a deity.
    9. to attend services of divine worship.
    10. to feel an adoring reverence or regard.

van·i·ty /ˈvænɪti/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[van-i-tee] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation noun, plural -ties, adjective
    –noun 1. excessive pride in one's appearance, qualities, abilities, achievements, etc.; character or quality of being vain; conceit: Failure to be elected was a great blow to his vanity.
    2. an instance or display of this quality or feeling.
    3. something about which one is vain.
    4. lack of real value; hollowness; worthlessness: the vanity of a selfish life.
    5. something worthless, trivial, or pointless.
    6. vanity case.
    7. dressing table.
    8. a wide, counterlike shelf containing a wash basin, as in the bathroom of a hotel or residence, often equipped with shelves, drawers, etc., underneath.
    9. a cabinet built below or around a bathroom sink, primarily to hide exposed pipes.
    10. compact1 (def. 13).
    –adjective 11. produced as a showcase for one's own talents, esp. as a writer, actor, singer, or composer: a vanity production.
    12. of, pertaining to, or issued by a vanity press: a spate of vanity books

#43     Dec 13, 2006
  4. neophyte321

neophyte321 Guest

a more naive statement has never been made.

God EXISTS in the minds of man. Therefore GOD exists.
    Perception is reality, and the notion man is capable of answering all the questions he is capable of asking is ludicrous.

#44     Dec 13, 2006
  5. Grant

Grant

Neophyte,

“God EXISTS in the minds of man. Therefore GOD exists.”

So there is no existence outside, beyond or independent of our perceptions?

And If I do not perceive God, God does not exist.

So which perception is right – that which perceives, or that which doesn’t perceive? That which perceives existence, or that which perceives non-existence.

“a more naive statement has never been made.”

Grant.

#45     Dec 13, 2006
  6. So is God only man's imagination? A more ludicrous statement has never been made.

#46     Dec 13, 2006

7. Exactly. So when someone says that "god" told them to invade iraq then you REALLY know that they are pathalogical criminals who refuse to take responsibility for their actions.

As the saying goes, kill 1 person and go to jail. Kill 20 people and get sent to a nut house. Kill 1000's of people and get elected...

#47     Dec 13, 2006
  8. "Religion is regarded by the common man as true, the wise man as false, and the rulers as useful."

~Seneca

#48     Dec 13, 2006
  9. tikutka

tikutka

For a single man atheism is OK,but for a nation it's a way to nowhere.Just look what happened to USSR,the most atheistic country,where even the churches were destroyed.
    I have a question for atheists here.What makes you guys spend your valuable time(on trader's forum) to prove that there is no God.I can understand Christians here,'cause in Bible it clearly says that every Christian should speak out the God's word as frequently as possible.Please be honest,you have the special mission created by the Satan(just kidding).:D

#49     Dec 13, 2006
  10. psalm 14:1 The fool says in his heart, “There is no God.”

#50     Dec 13, 2006