Does everyone have CNBC turned on while trading ?

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by uniafly, Jul 6, 2006.

1. uniafly

uniafly

I agree with you that 98% of information there is useless.

Though some analysis they provide I find helpfull, and somewhat educational.

Also I watch it for such Data as Employment report, Consumer price index, Producer Price Index etc...

Though I had been trading just 3 months, so I am still figuring out my raw model of what I need and what I dont ...

#21     Jul 7, 2006
  2. CNBC is worthless. I don't watch anything on the TV while trading, its all useless garbage.

However, my opinion is that the futures tell/forecast the truth, they are the best indicator of the nature of an upcoming news event before its even announced.

Reading market dynamics prior to news events is much more useful than being a mindless observer of the garbage on TV.

#22     Jul 7, 2006
  3. Cheese

Cheese

Does everyone have CNBC turned on while trading?
    No.
    Sweet.
    :)

#23     Jul 7, 2006
  4. Josh009

Josh009

I keep it on because it's nice to have some background noise, but I recently noticed that i've been subconsciously lowering the volume...esp. when bob p is talking.
    I listen to Rick Santelli, Art Cashin, and Cramer (if he mentions something i have a position in, I get out fast)
    I watch Erin and Becky :D

newsstrike - opinions? this is the first i've heard of it

#24     Jul 7, 2006
  5. ddunbar

ddunbar Guest

Yeah, when you trade alone it's nice to have the "Market Ambience" in the background. I have it on in a small PIP window on monitor 2.

And of course, I glance up and over whenever that cutie money honey's on. Just as long as she's facing forward. The side profile of her face is shocking. Spilled my coffee the first time I saw that.

:)~

#25     Jul 7, 2006
  6. gaj

gaj

i have cnbc on but often don't listen to what they're saying.

i have it on for a couple reasons:
    1) on some major announcements, they'll be first or close to it. if i see the markets move, that will be a "oh, that's why" moment.
    2) i fade when someone comes on and touts a random stock and it runs stupidly.

#26     Jul 7, 2006
  7. SteveD

SteveD

What I have always found amusing is the fact that almost all of the real trading rooms,(GS, ML, UBS, etc) NYSE floor etc etc have their TV's turned to CNBC.

All of the pretend traders sitting in their back bedroom in their underwear trading 100 shares of SIRI are too smart to want any more information.

And when a "male" puts down a female over looks that is almost always a ugly 300 pounder that has a 4 inch penis he has not seen since the 8th grade.

Most of the females are a lot smarter than most on ET, including me. Look at Alix Glick, head of floor trading at Morgan Stanley??

Grow up and act like an civilized adult.

SteveD

#27     Jul 7, 2006
  8. I'll ignore the noise in your post in an attempt to identify the basis behind your opinion.

You're saying that information flow is the critical component, no? Any source of information flow is valuable, no? We agree here.

However, I have watched CNBC in the past, and, much like commentators during a baseball game, the bulk of information presented via CNBC is filler, there exists little content outside of an impending news event and its result - most everything else on CNBC is OPINION. So what if it comes from the head of Morgan Stanley floor trading - is it therefore more valuable? Are you going to make a trading decision because of someone's opinion? I sure as hell won't, and, its got nothing to do with someone's intelligence or my inability to listen to another view, simply put, I can formulate my own opinions via my own research, thank you.

This is a matter of EFFECTIVE information flow. I can spend 20 minutes in the morning going over all the key events for the day via the internet and other TEXT based resources. I'm not going to waste my time listening to annoying commercials and OPINIONS for 1% of information that I can gather in significantly less time with a small amount of self directed effort.

Mike

P.S. IMO Bloomberg's content quality far surpasses CNBC.

#28     Jul 7, 2006
  9. Better watch the muppets show...

#29     Jul 7, 2006
  10. ddunbar

ddunbar Guest

LOL. I was going to say something along those lines. No Playboy for him, six months!

Indeed.

#30     Jul 7, 2006