Does everyone have a degree?

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by Kastro_316, May 21, 2004.

1. Poor longshot.... he envys people who have skills so much.
    Look at how green he is :D

Notice how many of the good traders advise a computer science
    background for trading.

Look at all the Hedge Funds with TEAMS of programmers out there.

Your such a MORON longshot. So clueless. You couldn't trade
    your way out of a paper bag :p

peace

axeman

#31     May 22, 2004
  2. ramora

ramora

Get an education. Consider a formal education part of your edge.

Programmers who skipped college during the early '90s because they could make a great living without it are now finding it very hard to work at any company larger than 100 people.

Avoid the standard approach however, do not follow the crowd.

Last month there was a news article about a German University offering a free education to any American student. They want more diversity in their school. Go there, and trade the US markets in the evening.

University of Montgomery in Alabama offers a free scholarship (for the most part) if you are white. (60 minutes did a story on this a few months back.)

The University of London (started in 1836) has an external degree from the London School of Economics. It is hard and you complete courses by examination, but it is a very good education compared with no education at all. The Economics degree is from the London School of Economics, very good. It requires more discipline than most students have, just like trading. http://www.londonexternal.ac.uk/

University of South Africa also has an external degree program modeled after the University of London. Their program is good, but I do not think much of South Africa these days. You might consider it however...

Stay away from the standard, community colleges, and online diploma mills.

Have a great time!

#32     May 22, 2004
  3. Just a note: You can save a lot of money by going to a
    community college first that works closely with the GOOD
    college you are interested in.

I did not take this route, but when in my 4 year school, I took
    a couple of calculus classes at the community college next door
    because of scheduling and language conflicts.

The teacher at the community college was 300% better than
    my indian college calculus teacher I couldn't understand :D

I even dropped out of one calculus class because I couldn't
    understand the guy and was struggling.

After taking the community college calculus, I looked back at
    my tests given by the indian dude and LAUGHED they were
    so easy.

If I had known... I would have saved a bundle on tuition by
    taking 2 years community, transferring and then finishing
    my 2 years at the regular college.

You can get a 4 year degree pretty damn CHEAP if you know how
    to work the system.

peace

axeman

#33     May 22, 2004
  4. hahahaha!!!! there couldn't be more truth than that!

my best teacher that i've ever had was my macro econ teacher at a local CC. and the worst were the PHD's from a different country that can barely speak the language.

i had my first calculus class in my current unvi w/some middle east guy. i couldn't pick up very much from his lecture(bad eng speaking skills), plus his handwriting was horrible. that wasn't encouraging during first quarter of my college years. i went to my TA for help. i remember all my math TA's put my through all my classes.

the point is: you will save alot of money by going to CC first. CC tends to have better prof that are more teaching oriented rather than research oriented. they can help you a great deal. most CC classes are very easy, compare to university level classes. but you just might end up taking too many major classes when you transfer to a university. plus you might get a learning curve shock, when you realize that your CC were more like a 13th-14th grade rather than a university.

#34     May 22, 2004
  5. "plus you might get a learning curve shock, when you realize that your CC were more like a 13th-14th grade rather than a university" :D

Well... I didnt take enough CC classes to be able to draw a
    conclusion, but I DO know that my CC math profs taught
    calculus so much better than my Univ. profs, that when I
    looked back at the Univ. material I considered it EASY.
    The old Univ. exams were a CAKE WALK :)
    Calculus is NOT difficult if you have a good teacher.

The american CC profs GAVE A SHIT. I aced my classes while barely trying.
    The same Univ classes tortured me, and I could barely get through.
    Both schools used the same book and material.
    I was STUNNED at how much the TEACHER really mattered.

At the University, you basically had to teach calculus to yourself.
    Going to class was a waste of time.

The dude would walk straight to the black board with his back
    turned to 300 students and scribble and say blah blah blah
    for 2 hours and walk out.

Thats it. Thats all you got. As far as im concerned, they ripped
    me off $$$.

What made it worse was... his TA's english was even worse.
    There was no point in talking to either of those guys.
    I cant believe they got hired. :mad:

Fortunately, it was only the Math department, that was like this.
    Makes learning 10X more difficult.

I would have done better to skip class every day and read
    the book myself and work through the problems. Much better.
    But that asshole would fail you if you didnt show up for class :mad:

peace

axeman

#35     May 22, 2004
  6. axehawk

axehawk

The markets will still be there in 4 years. Get your degree! Computer science, finance, math, or statistics will be valuable to your future trading.

#36     May 22, 2004
  7. Very true. So true in fact that what differentiates a good school from a not so good school is the faculty.

Curriculums are pretty uniform no matter what college you attend. However, when you take courses where the professor has written a text book on the subject, you can bet that you will have to buy that text book. If the book is well written, you are in luck. If not, you are out of luck. At a certain level, you can be assured that virtually all the text books you need to buy will be written by the one person facing a different direction than everyone else in the class.

This Kastro kid has been asking this same question here for two years. Kastro, obviously you decided to continue your education. If you are still so undecided, why not take a break and see how you feel about it? At 19, you have plenty of time to make choices.

BTW, from what you wrote, I guess a college degree isn't required to be a cop in Vancouver. But in many (if not most) places these days, a college degree is a requirement for the police force. And certainly if you want to be a career cop, a degree is a necessity to become a cop with any kind of rank.

Good luck

Brush

#37     May 22, 2004
  8. MT27

MT27

True for day trading a degree wont really help, but most successful traders only stay for a few years, sure some make good money for years but the odds are against you

#38     May 22, 2004
  9. omniscient

omniscient Guest

there may be limits or other obstacles, but it is a physiological reality that younger brains learn quicker than older brains. there is evidentiary support for trying to teach old dogs new tricks.

one of the coolest things about youth is the limited number of things they think they can't do. that is an incredible benefit when it comes to learning to do something new.

i have three boys, all under 4 yrs old, and they are always asking about the charts and the numbers and the letters. they constantly amaze me at what they retain. i really don't try to 'teach' them about trading, but i will offer all i can as long as they are interested.

take care and trade well!

omni

#39     May 23, 2004
  10. LMFAO! :D :p :D :p

#40     May 23, 2004