Does automated trading really work?

Discussion in 'Automated Trading' started by profitloss999, Mar 27, 2013.

1. danielfp

danielfp

Automated trading can work, this is a FACT. Evidence ? Look at the Barclay systematic trader index for more than 20 years of audited performance for market participants executing more than 95% of their positions through automated means (just google "Barclay systematic traders index" and go to the first result).

Can YOU make it work? Now that's a different story.

#11     Apr 5, 2013
  2. themickey

themickey

Nice one. Keep believing the negative. I'm sure you'll get lots of experienced traders now wasting their time to explain.

But you are right, won't work. I don't believe bumble bees are meant to fly either.

#12     Apr 6, 2013
  3. How do you get from A to B on this? If automation works, why would that require every institution to make money? Your conclusion doesn't follow from your premise.

#13     Apr 6, 2013
  4. kut2k2

kut2k2

Exactly. It's the same silly argument against TA. "If TA works, why aren't we all rich?". As if those with TA that works have an obligation to share it with every mook they never heard of.

Next.

#14     Apr 6, 2013
  5. I was merely responding to your post "Either you believe or you don't. That's the real bottom line."

I chose not to believe it. Now everybody gets so angry and defensive!

Maybe I should have taken my automated trading question to the politics and religion forum.:confused:

And good luck to your automated trading! you will need it.:D

#15     Apr 6, 2013

6. "Believe" or "disbelieve" don't factor into it at all. You either find something that works or you don't. It's an empirical question, not a metaphysical question.

If Goldman Sachs finds an automated trading system that works for them, it does not mean that Joe Schmoe Traders will also find one. You're being melodramatic.

#16     Apr 6, 2013
  7. jnbadger

jnbadger

Good for you. You've made a decision. Now move full steam ahead into manual trading. Good luck with that. I'm sure you'll do just fine. :cool:

#17     Apr 6, 2013
  8. the OP loses money trading manually, he will lose money trading automatically also

Many come to ET to search for the holy grail, I come here to have a laugh

:D

#18     Apr 6, 2013
  9. jnbadger

jnbadger

So do I. It sucks, but after all these years I still can't make it happen. But what I've realized is that trying to automate traditional technical analysis is just silly. You have to use math, and you have to be creative.

I wonder if that's why he thinks it isn't possible. I've had some help from guys on this board. But I've also had what I thought were some pretty good ideas. Stuff which just made sense. And they turned out to be dogshit in backtesting. Happens all the time.

Using computers to do your trading is one thing, but you still have to have good ideas to program them with.

#19     Apr 6, 2013
  10. Yes, so does manual trading. To some people. About 10% of human population, maybe less.

#20     Apr 6, 2013