Does anyone use IB's Charts?

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by 1flyfisher, Oct 31, 2009.

1. DAV

DAV ET Sponsor

Thanks to those of you who posted or PMed specific issues and suggestions.
    We will take action once we have a clear picture of the problem.
    There have been a number of negative posts but there does not seem to be general agreement on the core problem.
    Is it data lag, ease of use, chart navigation?

#31     Nov 3, 2009
  2. Bob111

Bob111

Hi Dave! you can clearly see data lag on screenshot. price on chart is around 56$, last on TWS-56.46. move mouse over the chart and CPU usage on dual core PC spike to almost 100%. it's pretty much all above

#32     Nov 3, 2009
  3. I'll bet pennies to pounds that the whole chart is being repainted just to repaint the the last bar. It is the way the JFreeChart library (that TWS uses) works.

I've written my own charting stuff that uses JFreeChart and coerced the whole arrangement to just repaint the last bar when that is all that is needed. It wasn't especially easy, and synchronization was a real bitch but it is doable. The charts vastly outperform TWS charts. I'll also add that I did quite a lot of fiddling about to get performance and avoided Swing containers in favor of a simple Frame.

I really don't see the reason for the toolbar and all the rest of the stuff in the chart frame. Just use a popup menu and save all the screen real estate.

#33     Nov 3, 2009
  4. That pic is nasty...

Might be educational to run side-by-side identical chart setups:

1) IB Chart
    2) TWS feeding another charting program
    3) Another charting program w/ another data feed

and see how they update. #3 should probably be run on a separate but similar PC.

#34     Nov 3, 2009
  5. does the charting package come automatically when a trader subscribes to market data for stocks through IB?

I mainly swing trade ETFs of the indexes and have trouble when for instance entering an order and going through the extra popup window telling me I am entering an order without data....and then finding the bid/ask has moved away from my working order.......IT SEEMS I MUST THEN FILL OUT ANOTHER ORDER TICKET WHICH IS TIME CONSUMING AND DIFFICULT......anyone know of a add-on that decomplicates rapidly entering and changing orders on TWS when you have no data through IB????

#35     Nov 3, 2009
  6. Catoosa

Catoosa

I opened an IB tech support "ticket" on the mouse movement problem causing the CPU usage to go from 2% to 100% and IB replied that I was the only one who had reported this problem. I am having the exact same problem you describe on all of my computers that run TWS. I had to quit using IB charts because of this problem. IB should scrap the TWS Java based charting and write or buy a non Java based charting program much like QouteTracker that we open independently of TWS but use IB's TWS for the chart data. QuoteTracker is for sure not a CPU hog and I have many charts spread out over 12 monitors. Hello, wake up IB.

#36     Nov 3, 2009
  7. Bob111

Bob111

pure BS. typical CS position-if i didn't know about-then problem is not exist. they can't see beyond the end of their nose...i report it directly to Dav long time ago. right after "forced" TWS upgrade\update. i can find this email on my PC,but..will this help? probably not..
    Dav is only a guy,who takes active position against all of those bugs. rest of CS-reinstall TWS or Java. and problems will go away :p

#37     Nov 3, 2009
  8. Java is NOT the problem. The code is the problem.

#38     Nov 4, 2009
  9. Hi DAV;
    Along with the fact that IB charts often fail to "KEEP CHART UP TO DATE" (I have to correct this by switching time frames) my biggest beef is that the library of previously viewed charts cannot be edited. Nor does it have a limit so that unwanted charts scroll off and can be forgotten. Once the library (under the
    "underlying" area in the lower left hand corner of the chart) gets more than 20 items in it, it gets gets pretty hard to use.
    Hope you can get this fixed.

#39     Nov 4, 2009
  10. Bob111

Bob111

stand alone 897.6.

#40     Nov 4, 2009