Does anyone trade the eminis ES,YM etc. without a 'stop'.yea that takes guts I know..

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by increasenow, Jan 17, 2008.

1. If you answer me what the point of your thread(s) is I will give you an honest answer? Really inquiring minds what to know :p

#21     Jan 18, 2008
  2. Gracious!

#22     Jan 18, 2008
  3. Cesko

Cesko

I think you misunderstood what he was saying.

#23     Jan 18, 2008
  4. ganesh6

ganesh6

I guess the problem with mental stop especially in the case of eminis may be that some news hits the wire and market takes off (or down) and you are on the other side.

So I dont know if it is a good idea to trade them without a hard stop.

#24     Jan 18, 2008
  5. What a sell of day
    Yes have to put stop or sometine if there is a spike or short squeeze you can get burnt :(

#25     Jan 18, 2008
  6. just to let you know...I have never, ever used a stop...only 'mental' ones...I do not enter trades where I believe I will have to endure a huge drawdown...example..all my YM trades today were 'almost' 2 minutes or less!!!...real trading and not sim...

#26     Jan 18, 2008
  7. ganesh6

ganesh6

I will never trade without predefined hard stop loss. Mental stop as the name indicates varies upon the one's mood/emotions on that particular minute.

One big loss will wipe out all the previous small profits.

Just my opinion.

#27     Jan 18, 2008
  8. I agree to ganes
    To put a hard stop or a mental stop
    The hard stop u can always change accourding to your trading but the mental stop u cant like today the YM just taked and i was not able to stop it falling (by getting out as soon as possible re-thinking ) but if i had a hard stop the stop should have removed all the douts ( its coming back wait a few more minutes etc

#28     Jan 18, 2008
  9. how many YM points is your hard stop?

#29     Jan 18, 2008
  10. Well now that I think about it the gap play setup that LBR, Carter, and Alex have accounts for are daily trades that do not use stops. Well they usually happen almost every day but if there is no gap to speak of then there is no trade that day.

Cajun

#30     Feb 10, 2008