Does anyone trade crude futures long term?

Discussion in 'Commodity Futures' started by maxitronixy, May 27, 2009.

1. Shagi

Shagi

why would anyone want to trade one market long term? Holding such long periods requires a robust long term trend following approach. Therefor your chances of making money are slim or next to zero- what if crude oil does not trend for 2 years?

If you are planning to trade long term 2 years and above - Diversify and trade everything tradeable under the sun.

2. NONSENSE!

First crude oil trade in early eighties: Sold short around $30/barrel when margin was $1,000 contract and $1 drop was = $1,000. Went to $10.

Bought crude in 2002, 20 Contracts... sold @ $101. (5 year trade).

3. Shagi

Shagi

Yeh I agree I have written nonsense and congratulations on your success

4. Handle123

Handle123

I have been trading long term since 1992, I think the longest trade was 2.5 years in a currency. It is just real tough to stay with a trade for any length of period more than several months.
    It took me many tries to find the top in Crude, but rode it down to near the lows where I reversed and still long, every month changing contracts to nearby.

Once I am in a trade, I revert to weekly bars, only way to stay in a long term trade.

5. how about short term swing-trading in crude or other commodities, 3-5 days max? does it work? too risky?

6. Why not, I average in/out using QM sometimes over a few hours or days!

7. ok. but i mean a standalone short swing trade in crude, how long could that take? i'm not familiar with commodities, i'm just curious what the time horizon can be for shorter term trades

8. Illum

Illum

Ken and Handle question for you. How do you manage a longer term position, when do you look to roll it?, how far out are you buying/selling? Leverage? Any hiccups that made you adjust your style, aside from the price direction, execution wise?

Thx a ton

9. there's a lot of FREE info on commodities trading at:

www.commoditytradingschool.com/inde...nt&task=category&sectionid=4&id=38&Itemid=76

i don't know about you, but in my world, FREE is better . . .

i'm sure it's no worse than paid courses . . . you may not get color brochures, but that's OK . . .there may be better things to do with 3K i think

i also like the relaxed attitude of paul brittain, a broker with alaron, who runs the commodity schools

Varima Garch

#10     May 31, 2009