Does anyone snowboard here?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Maverick74, Jan 12, 2011.

1. Banjo

Banjo

Heliboarding in fresh powder in the Alps, oh, man, that had to be sweet.

#21     Jan 12, 2011
  2. TraDaToR

TraDaToR

Yep... once a month...:D

#22     Jan 12, 2011
  3. I have the first one (don't use it anymore but used to a lot) but since buying it have tried something like the second in a gym and like it better.

#23     Jan 13, 2011
  4. I have been riding ~12 yrs (with very little air time ) and no real injuries. Had a close call with a tree last weekend though - whipped around in time to hit it backwards and escape with just a hamstring bruise.

One thing to be careful of when learning is you can have some nasty falls until you learn not to trip over your downhill edge.

#24     Jan 13, 2011
  5. I've been snowboarding for 20yrs+ and never used a balance board. I don't think it could hurt, I just don't know if it's going to help that much. I don't think you need extraordinary balance to learn how to snowboard. But then again, I pretty much grew up on a skateboard, surfing, BMX bikes , so maybe I just take my balance for granted.

Hard pack vs powder:
    I live on the East Coast (main spots are Gore,Mt SNow, Stratton, Stowe VT) and you really have 70-80% of your riding on hard pack and if you go to Hunter or anywhere close to NYC you have 80% hard pack and 10% ice. Hard pack is faster and yes, it hurts a more when you wipe out.
    I've been out West and the powder is everywhere. It is tons of fun, but more work if you're not use to pushing through it and also dealing with altitude acclimation. But man, when you pick up speed and you're carving massive turns, uhhhhh ...the greatest.

I've taught a few people and the best advice I can give is just keep at it. Muscle memory takes a little time but once it clicks you'll be loving life on the slopes.
    Turn with your head and body. Imagine you are driving one of those big 18 wheelers with a giant steering wheel. Turn your head to the direction you want to go, turn your arms/shoulders, then hips, everything will follow.
    GET A HELMET (if you don't have one already)! Other than jamming up my ankle, the only other time I've been hurt snowboarding is at the end of a run on a tiny mountain (Jimminy Peak,MA) and I came around a turn , hit a patch of ice , and SLAMMO! Right on my head. No helmet. I was lucky.

Good luck!

#25     Jan 13, 2011
  6. TraDaToR

TraDaToR

This thread made me want to go snowboarding ... And there should be some good snow for MLK WE:cool:

#26     Jan 13, 2011
  7. Maverick74

Maverick74

Thanks. Great advice from you and tradedator. I know you say a balance board is not probably needed but I should note, I have never been able to ice skate, roller blade, surf, etc. Of course I never really tried most these things but my balance is really not that great. So the balance board can't hurt.

#27     Jan 13, 2011
  8. nope.

don't skateboard neither but my neighbor's 12 yr old son does

#28     Jan 13, 2011
  9. Yeah, the more I think about it, the balance board will be good to strengthen your leg and core muscles too.

#29     Jan 13, 2011