Does anyone snowboard here?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Maverick74, Jan 12, 2011.

1. Banjo

Banjo

2. Maverick74

Maverick74

Would you say most injuries come from doing tricks? I'm not trying to be in the Olympics here. Just recreational fun.

#12     Jan 12, 2011
  3. Maverick74

Maverick74

#13     Jan 12, 2011
  4. TraDaToR

TraDaToR

Yes, don't worry. If you aren't doing halfpipe or freestyle, there is few chances you will ever get hurt. It's always possible to have a big collision on a ski slope but you must be really unlucky...

You will really enjoy it when you will have the level to go backcountry. That's when snowboarding gets all its sense, when you are going full speed on 2 feet of powder, trying to make the biggest snow waves... You are litterally flying on the snow...

I am only snowboarding when there is fresh snow right now( I live 20 min from the ski resort in the Alps ), I don't go in snowparks anymore , just a couple a pipe runs at times.

Until 2 years ago, I was with a girl whose father was paying for heliski once a month... I should have stayed with her...:D

#14     Jan 12, 2011
  5. TraDaToR

TraDaToR

LOL at the fake video.

#15     Jan 12, 2011
  6. Maverick74

Maverick74

That's interesting. What's the big difference between fresh snow and hard packed snow. Is it just because it hurts less when you fall or is it just easier to control your board. I would think hard packed snow would be way too fast.

Which alps do you live?

#16     Jan 12, 2011
  7. Crispy

Crispy

I surf and board. 38 y/o

Ive been boarding since the the burton woodie and havent been hurt yet just cruising. And im an east coaster riding in crud 99% of the time.

Stay on the ground and worst that will probably happen is a bruised ego and sore ass.

Sidenote - More shoulder and arm injuries in boarding than knees or legs. This is due to being strapped in and falling and trying to break said fall.

#17     Jan 12, 2011
  8. Maverick74

Maverick74

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/OK5SL6RkD6g?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/OK5SL6RkD6g?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Hmm....I better talk to my insurance company first. :)

#18     Jan 12, 2011
  9. Crispy

Crispy

Totally fake. But for a brief second I did think the guy got smoked.

#19     Jan 12, 2011
  10. TraDaToR

TraDaToR

It's totally different. Seriously I don't ever go snowboarding if there isn't some fresh snow that is max 2 days old, unless it is for a special occasion.

First You definitely have less control on your board, your trajectory and need more space to stop if you are going fast. Second You get tired a lot faster on hard snow, your muscles get really sore( is it english? ), and third yes if you fall, it hurts more.

When there is much powpow, you just choose a hill/mountain with no previous traces and just do try to go straight down...You feel safe going full speed as it won't hurt if you fall and you are like turning in butter( if that makes sense). It can't be described , you have to experience it...

I live in the French Alps, Grenoble near Geneva.

#20     Jan 12, 2011