Does anyone make a living using straight directional trades ?

Discussion in 'Options' started by rfriend73, Jul 20, 2012.

1. Why do you consider options trading to be a crap market for pikers ?

#21     Jul 25, 2012
  2. This is such a great thread post, I wish more would join.

I'm always wondering this too. This quarter I took on a huge drawdown (50%) but I went back to trading shorter term too-I'm already closer to my previous high then my low. :) I make almost all of my money the same way I suspect everyone on this thread does.

Here is the $50 question: once a trader goes from a small trader who blows up accounts to a very profitable trader, it feels generally easy to make money doing very little work. Why is it this easy?

#22     Jul 25, 2012

3. ....worried about who elses picture might be on that alter.....

#23     Jul 25, 2012
  4. newwurldmn

newwurldmn

The guy whose paying for the salesman's childrens' private schools.

#24     Jul 25, 2012
  5. wayneL

wayneL

I like to ask a different question first: Can you make a living using straight directional trades on the underlying (or at least be profitable long term if not making a living)?

With a fair few caveats, the answer is yes.

The question then becomes: Do options give the trader any overall advantages in trading direction, over and above the underlying?

Basically you are exposing yourself to delta to trade direction, so delta for delta, what effect does selection of strike/expiry, the extra contest risk, theta, gamma and vega have as the trade develops?

Each trade will throw out a different set of non-linear variables so impossible to backtest accurately (IMO).

One should use the same type of money management rules as trading the underlying as well.

Just some thoughts.

#25     Jul 26, 2012
  6. newwurldmn

newwurldmn

Without views on gamma, vega, theta or range, you are better just trading the underlying.

#26     Jul 26, 2012
  7. i liked the girl that played cat women.. blondes can be overrated..

that seems to be everyones first lesson in options.. THETA at expiration.. gamma risk increases right at expiration.. for example aapl could be right between two strikes at expiration with an hour or two to go.. and trade up three dollars and turn a .05 cent option into a dollar in the money option.. if not 5 dollars in the money.. i've seen in happen.. but yea the first trade in options i made i think i lost like 6 grand in thetas..

#27     Jul 27, 2012
  8. yes .. big direction or no direction.. volatility.. haha.. trading direction is like a different animal.. its funny after reading this thread.. this guys head must be spinning.. "talks of calling the cboe floor?" really haha

#28     Jul 27, 2012
  9. "why is this easy" sounds like your about to blow up again.. haha

#29     Jul 27, 2012
  10. wayneL

wayneL

A view on vol and range will probably suffice.

#30     Jul 27, 2012