does anyone know how to play brcd

Discussion in 'Trading' started by chisox, May 17, 2002.

1. Kymar

Kymar

Twas, January 5, 2000, two splits and a whole lotta other stuff ago...

Even on today's charts, it looks pretty darn dramatic - opens at 37.5, low at 33, close at 42.5... but in those days it was a 40 pt intraday range... I'd been position-trading (back in those days, we sent in our orders by carrier pigeon, and were guaranteed the worst conceivable fill, and WE LIKED IT)... hit breakeven around 150 or so, capitulated right around 132, watched it scream back up to 170...

So, I of course swore off the stock, and stood aside while it broke out, and more than doubled over the next few weeks... (If only I'd had MurreyMath on my side... )

Of course, as we all remember, there were all sorts of rockets taking off in those days, every day of the week, somewhere... not that I was flipping what you'd call huge positions, but did get on the right side of a few similar moves here and there... RBAK, FDRY, SCMR, ARTG, ENGA... tears in your eyes yet?

BRCD looks pretty hardy and blue-chippy compared to some of those... though kind of tired... but, even now, just before it screams off on some major...one-and-a-half point move... it still throws in a good fakeout for old times' sake...

#21     May 19, 2002
  2. Its funny you mentioned this in your post........I was just having a convo the other day with someone about how we miss those ridiculous intraday ranges. You take a JNPR, BRCD, or any of the others you mentioned...and you could be talking about a $35-$40 intraday range. Unreal!!!! I think that if you wanted to toss up a debate though on the most ridiculous run in the shortest amount of time, it would to be HANDS DOWN -- RMBS. That thing went from $68ish to over a whopping $425 in less than 3 weeks. Can you imagine if you would have bought calls on that sucker. I mean, in merely one single expiration period, in the money calls went from $3.25 to an astounding $355.00.

#22     May 20, 2002