Does anyone here use a single-serve pour-over coffee cone?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Frederick Foresight, May 10, 2024.

1. In the '90s, I used to have a plastic version of this item:

[​IMG]
    I recently bought the porcelain version, using a #2 cone filter, and am experimenting with quantity and grind. And so, I'm curious to know if anyone here uses this item, or one like it, and what grind they use to get the "best cup" in their opinion. I think I used the #4 grind in the distant past, but was recently advised that just under 3 might be a better bet; something in the neighborhood of fine grind.

Please share your experiences with it, if any. Thanks.

2. Baron

Baron ET Founder

I've never used that device but for years I would grind my own beans and use a French Press for my coffee. But when I turned 50, I just couldn't handle the level of caffeine in my coffee any more so I switched over to Bizzy cold brew. I do a 50/50 mix of decaf and their espresso blend.

https://bizzycoldbrew.com/

poopy likes this.
  3. I have a French press, but don't use it. I read that unfiltered coffee has more oils in it, which can raise LDL:

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/coffee-and-cholesterol#coffee-and-cholesterol

I noted this is an earlier thread. But, no question, the French press can make a good cup of coffee.

You're not the only one who is susceptible to the downside of jitter juice, which is why I only have one cup in the morning. Green tea for the rest of the day. I had been experimenting with instant and then instant decaf for a while, but it's time to get back to my roots. :D

I know that grinding your own is best, but I'm trying to keep it simple and I keep the ground coffee tightly sealed in the freezer.

If memory serves, my mother used to occasionally roast her own coffee in the distant past, let alone grind it with one of those manual mills. The smell was unbelievable, and I would crunch a few of the finished beans when she would sometimes let me. In other news, I was an active little kid.

4. newwurldmn

newwurldmn

I do cold brew but do 1/3 the recommended amount. I use about 14g coffee per three cups.

5. No way man! Death before decaf!

6. Nah, my coffee can’t be hot enough. And I don’t need a lot, but I need it strong. The kind that grabs you by the mouth. :wtf:

7. newwurldmn

newwurldmn

I pour it into a mug and heat it in the microwave. The cold brew part is just to pull the flavors and oils from the beans.

you can actually do the same through heat, time (cold brew), motion (run the beans and water through a blender). The last one is weird tasting and weird color.

8. Interesting, I didn’t know that. I always assumed that cold brew meant people had their coffee cold. I guess I’m out of the loop. But I do insist on a filter to catch the oils for the reason noted in my earlier post.

My mom used to make the best coffee I ever had. She made it sort of like Turkish coffee, but with more water, enough to make a regular-sized cup. She heated the water in a small saucepan to a near boil and then added the very finely ground coffee. She would let the water heat up again to just below boiling as it was about to rise, before removing the saucepan from the stove. It had to be removed from the heat at exactly the right time to get the full bodied taste. She would then add a very small amount of cold water to help the grounds settle, and it would then be poured into cups a minute or so later. It was superb.

I tried to replicate it, but never could. Of course, it wasn’t filtered, but what a way to go. I used to drink a lot more coffee when I was younger. She used a 50/50 or 60/40 blend of Moka Java dark and Moka Java light. It was the coffee of the gods.

Last edited: May 10, 2024
  9. newwurldmn

newwurldmn

I’ve read that the strongest bitters are released when the water is at 212. That’s why you are supposed to let the boiling water cool slightly before pouring into a French press.

I don’t know how to make a Turkish coffee but I have played around with cowboy coffee which is similar but a lot less involved.

10. I agree. You can't let the water come to a boil with the coffee. My aunt used to let the water come to a boil with the coffee and it was never as good as my mom's, which had more flavor and body.

:D

#10     May 11, 2024