Does anyone have VaR

Discussion in 'Options' started by IV_Trader, Aug 11, 2007.

1. MTE

MTE

Yes, that's right. This is a parametric method, which makes an assumption about the returns distribution, which is OK for linear instruments (i.e. stocks and futures), it doesn't work for non-linear instruments (i.e. options), however.

#21     Aug 20, 2007
  2. IV_Trader

Correct.

But, in order to calculate the volatility of a portfolio of stocks, you must use the correlation values between the component stocks.

#22     Aug 20, 2007
  3. MTE , thanks - yes , this is for long stocks only.
    PT , thanks - so I am back to correl between stocks again ?....damn.

Anyway , I attached excel file just in case if someone have free time and want to help me out.
    All , thanks again for your help !

#23     Aug 20, 2007
  4. MTE

MTE

Why is correlation such a problem for you?

You can find the theory on portfolio correlation on wiki

You can also create a time series of portfolio returns rather than individual stocks, then you avoid the whole correlation thing, cause you already have portfolio data.

#24     Aug 21, 2007
  5. Here's a "quick and dirty" way we do spot checking of HV for a particular stock at our firm:

We have an internal function to pull the last (x) days of closing prices, then

start with the second day - in the spreadsheet, this would be D3

LN(D3/D2)

drag and paste over the remainder so the formula calcs as shown in spreadsheet..

Look at cell E54 here, do CTRL-SHIFT-ENTER to perform the calc

Then, it's the SQRT(E54*252) - 252 trading days in a yr roughly

That will give you a 'rough' estimate of HV (in this case, 50D HV)

HTH....

#25     Aug 21, 2007
  6. #26     May 4, 2008
  7. Beker

Beker

hello,

I would like to ask for help about variance-co. VaR calculations.

I found a interesting video about how to calculate VaR in excel for two assets but I don't really know in details how to calculate it for more assets( 3 and more+ ).
    youtube.com/watch?v=YR2MijzLRPo

Can anyone help me with a explanation about how to calculate VaR for more assets?

Thank you in advance.

#27     Jun 12, 2011