Does anyone feel like this economy is full of expendable jobs?

Discussion in 'Economics' started by will848, May 15, 2013.

1. clacy

clacy

I think most of what you're describing goes on in the vast majority of large companies, in all departments, at all levels.

#11     May 16, 2013
  2. Samsara

Samsara

Could be the future. The middle class is probably going to be hollowed out <a href="http://www.motherjones.com/media/2013/05/robots-artificial-intelligence-jobs-automation?page=1">with automation.</a>

"First and foremost, we should be carefully watching those five economic trends linked to capital-biased technological change to see if they rebound when the economy picks up. If, instead, they continue their long, downward slide, it means we've already entered a new era.

Next, we'll need to let go of some familiar convictions. Left-leaning observers may continue to think that stagnating incomes can be improved with better education and equality of opportunity. Conservatives will continue to insist that people without jobs are lazy bums who shouldn't be coddled. They'll both be wrong."

#12     May 16, 2013
  3. Virtually everywhere in every era 20% of the workforce does 80% of the work.

#13     May 16, 2013
  4. clacy

clacy

This is probably true to varying degrees, but I think it's shifting more towards fewer doing the heavy lifting, due to the fact that physical labor is not as important as it was say 200 years ago.

#14     May 16, 2013
  5. I used a temp agency and got 3 guys to do work. they were super lazy, so I fired them after 3 hours. i'm sure they said, 'I really need the work' but they sat around and didn't do much.

but I get it....life is not supposed to be wasted on being some loser job. and then answer to some other human because they have more money. that cannot feel that good.

options are: cut down expenses and be a sheep not as often

or leverage up, and then exploit others to really make money. lie like the online gurus.....do whatever to get the money as long as it won't land you in jail.

education isn't the answer for most...

now get to work sheep and fear my phone call until the day you die!!!! I own your life!!!! I control your family's future!!! I am your god!!! sooo dumb.....haha

#15     May 16, 2013
  6. I don't dispute that government policy and social norms push the normal skew in only one direction -- the wrong direction. Maybe it was 75/25 and is now 80/20 or was the 80/20 and is now 85/15 ... no precision here.

Yes, there are tipping points and things are not getting better. But it pays to realize how bad it has always been.

#16     May 16, 2013
  7. as far as I know, the USA economy has been on the verge of collapse since 1776, that's just the way we do it. We have never had a conservative economy where we could just retire and enjoy it. If it aint one thing it's another. The economy has always been bad. Yet, somehow we make money.

#17     May 16, 2013
  8. if you are a stock trader, you should just look at the economy the way ag traders look at weather. It's always a bitch.

#18     May 16, 2013
  9. dreturns

dreturns

No sympathy here, not meaning to be rude. I am middle aged as well having to work hard to keep current w the kids. The point is, when I have had a DBA position opening in the US, there are few if any US citizens that even apply. I have had to sponsored 5 green card applications in the past yr because there are no US folks who apply. This was true for ST Louis, NY, and Boston. If you have 25 yrs experience and are certified from a vendor, your like gold. Especially if English is your first language.

If your a trader, you need to constantly be looking for new / testing your current edge(s). If your in IT, you better damn well have current vendor certs on your resume. You don't want a surgeon that doesn't keep current.

#19     May 16, 2013
  10. traders don't have much respect for people that have jobs or want jobs

a job is what you have to endure when you have made bad decisions

#20     May 16, 2013