Does anyone else think this is a suckers rally?

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by sputdr, Aug 31, 2005.

1. i think everyone is missing the point

third and fourth quarters are total losses, but in the next 6-9 months as things are cleaned up people will be building new homes, fixing homes up, buying furniture, buying new TV's and computers, businesses will be replacing a ton of infrastructure and upgrading things to be disaster recoverable.

After 9/11 all the wall street companies spent billions of $$$ on second datacenters and other redundant infrastructure.

#31     Aug 31, 2005
  2. newbunch

newbunch

And the market didn't hit bottom until more than a year later. Good analogy.

#32     Aug 31, 2005
  3. omniscient

omniscient Guest

doesn't that go both ways though? i mean, won't a lot of that happen with insurance money? and from that, won't it put insurance companies in a less profitable (note i didn't suggest unprofitable :D) position? so it looks like that is basically a wash - one industry gets hit big time, while several industries get a bit of a bump.

also, wouldn't that be more of a factor further down the line than today?

again, just trying to wrap the gray matter around it all :)

thx and take care -

omni

#33     Aug 31, 2005
  4. omniscient

omniscient Guest

so then, is the expectation that those in the know will be pushing up the market to liquidate at about the same time John Q decides to start getting back into the market? and that's when what's happening today leads to the real sell-off from top?

thx -

omni

#34     Aug 31, 2005
  5. newbunch

newbunch

Could be. After the initial drop following 9/11, the markets started to rise. Could be the same thing here.

#35     Aug 31, 2005
  6. omniscient

omniscient Guest

btw, dunno if it is already common knowledge, but you can go to:

http://smr.com/homepage.htm

and get a daily chart on 40+ commodities and 50+ stocks. there's a daily pdf 'book' for each category (stocks and commodities) as well as links to individual listings.

nothing major, but it is pretty convenient.

hth

take care -

omni

#36     Aug 31, 2005
  7. the idea that the fed is done trumps all of this for now. until we get a new data point to bring fed worries back into the picture buy dips imho.

#37     Sep 1, 2005
  8. NKNY

NKNY

Yes but we were already in a downtrend.

NK

#38     Sep 1, 2005
  9. 6 dollar gas in Atlanta.

A major city in the US totally destroyed.

Somewhere near a million people displaced.

I just can't see how this could be anything but bad news.

This reminds me of post 9/11 when people were saying it's unpatriotic to sell stocks and then the bottom fell out.

I wonder if we get a delayed reaction like a previous poster mentioned.

#39     Sep 1, 2005
  10. the insurance comps can then raise rates,not just for that area but all areas. they probably come out ahead in the longer term.

#40     Sep 1, 2005