Does anyone else think this is a suckers rally?

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by sputdr, Aug 31, 2005.

1. I waz thinking sell lmt @1225...

#21     Aug 31, 2005
  2. SP +12pts on heavy volume.

NYSE Volume 2,365,520,000

about 2.4bill before laborday? OMFG!!!

#22     Aug 31, 2005
  3. Maverick74

Maverick74

You must be the richest guy in the world then. If this market is that predictable then you must be making serious bank going long everyday no? How many billions are you worth...1....5...10?

#23     Aug 31, 2005
  4. Nope small trader, successful but getting bored of the market that's all.

Trading less and less.

#24     Aug 31, 2005
  5. MR.NBBO

MR.NBBO

Not that it makes sense....but it smells like a break-out to me.

Unleaded up massive over last 2 days, doesn't exactly help workers to get to their jobs, or companies ship products. Seems like we should be lock limit down in the markets.

That said, I've taken off my short side, and look foward to a week of gains, at least.

Don't fight orderflow.

The international markets paint a bit of a different picture as well.

Nice take, Nitro.

#25     Aug 31, 2005
  6. Maverick74

Maverick74

Wait, that's a contradiction. Small trader, yet you must be making a killing. I'm confused. Making money every day is boring. What do you want? You want to lose money?

#26     Aug 31, 2005
  7. The excitment is gone for me. I'm not only about money. It's about being interested and I trade the afterhours which is anything but interesting. I find myself being bored and not paying attention alot.

I make money most everyday but am burned out I guess.

An interesting day would be to be down 15 pts and stay down.
    These days of down a little just to rally back are getting old.

We've been in a trading range for a year, I can't be the only one bored with it.

#27     Aug 31, 2005

8. Then go delta neutral.

I'm always blown away by those who say the market suxx. But there's opportunity everywhere...all the time.

This environment may last another 10 years....or more.

#28     Aug 31, 2005
  9. Maverick74

Maverick74

The term you are looking for is addicted gambler. Seek help.

#29     Aug 31, 2005
  10. omniscient

omniscient Guest

i think this is what is puzzling to me right now. as nitro suggested, trading thoughts can be financially punishing, so my objective is to cooperatively respond to what the market indicates.

BUUUT ... the thought does occur to me: how can oil AND stocks go the same direction? yes, i realize oil did close lower today and stocks closed up. it seems the market is trying to heavily discount the effect / impact of oil. quick, lay-logic would seem to suggest:

1. oil/gas price continues going up
    2. John Q Public sees it at the pump and nat gas at home
    3. companies keep off-shoring, downsizing, market correcting, scrimping etc. so John gets marginal or nonexistant raises/increases or gets laid off and takes a lower paying job, but has the same or higher bills
    4. John still has to feed his family, but food prices have increased beacuse it cost more to transport goods
    5. John starts cinching the budget-belt. less spending, maybe sells his SUV and gets an older econo car, local vacations (if at all), fewer luxuries/extras and so forth
    6. John sure isn't thinking about buying stocks (he may have been risk averse before, but now he is anti-risk)
    7. even dentists and doctors and engineers look at the market less
    8. stocks go higher??

i know there is more to it than this simplified perspective, but it looks like one of two things is imminent: oil OR stocks will be topping or have topped. and it seems to me oil has more upside potential than stocks. or, maybe it's that oil has less downside than stocks.

i'm really trying to understand it all, so i sincerely appreciate any insight anyone is willing to offer. like i said, in trade my goal is to focus on price, but when i take a step back and take a bigger picture of things, i'm scratching my head.

take care and gtty -

omni

#30     Aug 31, 2005