Does anyone else Test your trading ideas with Small size?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by KCalhoun, May 31, 2020.

1. %%
    OK
    Depends on what we are trading; averaging down on DAL...………. since its been bankrupt once + that was not virus related/so that could be deadly.
    A strong trender like QQQ; many ways to make a profit off that...………………………………………………………………..

#61     Jun 30, 2020
    ironchef likes this.
  2. ironchef

ironchef

Yes sir, I won't average down on DAL or GE (again :banghead:) for that matter. But average down on QQQ maybe smart? Like doing DCA. Not a prediction. :D

I was just questioning the wisdom of making blanket statement using words like "never".

#62     Jun 30, 2020
    murray t turtle likes this.
  3. ironchef

ironchef

Scale meant average up and not average down?

I had a side conversation with @murray t turtle, one of my mentors, on the subject of average up/down so just want to clarify your statement.

Thank you.

PS: To answer your question, I don't usually scale, I normally bet a fixed size based on Kelly. Do all my analysis and backtest, if encouraging, I bet. Often, if I add to my position I average down and not up, like this last March, kept buying xxx, yyy, zzz... on their way down. I only trade options so what I do may not be relevant to your question.

#63     Jun 30, 2020
    murray t turtle and KCalhoun like this.
  4. %%
    QQQ tends to trend so well;
    could profit both ways/with reasonable size. Having said that, exspect more roller/ coaster this summer. DOW ran up so much yesterday it may have stalled /LOL??...............................................................

#64     Jun 30, 2020