Does anyone else Test your trading ideas with Small size?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by KCalhoun, May 31, 2020.

1. %%
    Several reasons for that;
    emotions/drawdowns/LOL...…………………………………………………………………..
    Adding to the complexity;
    the media,[ except for WSJ,IBD] tend to spout nonsense.They reported new Nasdaq high, so its now a new bullmarket/LOL. ALL most always pays/planned scale in, unless its a veryshort term trade

#51     Jun 10, 2020
  2. KCalhoun

KCalhoun

Trading small size inverses today SDOW TZA TVIX SRTY up so far. Took small stops in long hedges TNA SPXL. Will scale into inverses if they go up more.

#52     Jun 10, 2020
    murray t turtle likes this.
  3. %%
    I wish I had bought srty, but I had enough inverse;
    I've made a profit with it, almost as liquid as others. [I never did understand TNA patterns/LOL]
    I want to buy some more tqqq/maybe sept?? And that's the advantage of low or no comissioins scale ins; made more with UPRO than SPXL.They pay about the same, if a trader went long both or shorted them @ same time...………………………………………………………………………………...

#53     Jun 11, 2020
    KCalhoun likes this.
  4. %%
    Exactly. With low or no commissions a ladder of orders makes even more sense. I even scale in buying gasoline for my 4 cyl HMC/LOL
    [gas @ $1.79 or $ 1.81 @MRO, Shell station; XOM, CVX a bit higher+ 9/10 cent on all /LOL]
    I've got a resting order/odd size/ againSPYG; sold that in JUN, nice profit/bought low 30's
    Teck etfs still look strong/above 200dma; dow + IWM look likebear moves this summer.

IWM ,may go up a bit this summer/ but down -17.7% this year looksbearish this summer...…………………………………………...………………………...…………...……......………...…………...

#54     Jun 12, 2020
  5. Esha.J

Esha.J

Yes, of course, one should always check and test your new ideas or strategy in a demo account or in a small size so that proper verification of the idea can be done.

#55     Jun 15, 2020
    Bree98 and murray t turtle like this.
  6. Yes, I have tested my trading ideas with a small amount of deposit first. It’s always advisable to start with a smaller amount of capital. Never risk so much of your capital in the beginning. You never know that your trading ideas will work in a profitable situation or not. You can always grow your trading account slowly and steadily.

#56     Jun 16, 2020
  7. %%
    Exactly;
    that's why real estate investors can make a fortune; small OR COMFY EARNEST MONEY

#57     Jun 16, 2020
    vanzandt likes this.
  8. There are many trading strategies that one should go for before doing Forex trading. These strategies or ideas will really help you to go in the right direction as well as diversify your investments in a good way. Practice these trading ideas with smaller amounts. Gradually grow your trading account in a larger volume and earn huge profits accordingly.

#58     Jun 29, 2020
  9. ironchef

ironchef

When I buy gasoline, or groceries, or stock up on toilet papers and hand sanitizers, I don't scale in, I average down. :D

It is an interesting paradox, when we buy things other than stocks, we are usually very happy to see prices go down and we buy more when that happen. Yet we are told never average down when trading? o_O

#59     Jun 30, 2020
    murray t turtle likes this.
  10. Bree98

Bree98

Correct! We shouldn't risk a lot of funds while testing new strategies, can put us in danger at times.

#60     Jun 30, 2020