Does anyone else Test your trading ideas with Small size?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by KCalhoun, May 31, 2020.

1. fan27

fan27

I use AlgoTerminal/IB Gateway so testing via SIM is to log IB Gateway into the SIM account and then my desktop in AlgoTerminal connects to the IB Gateway SIM account. To switch to live, I just run my IB Gateway live account and AlgoTerminal connects to that account. Most algo platforms will follow a similar pattern.

#31     Jun 1, 2020
    Nobert likes this.
  2. Tradex

Tradex

Nonsense, markets have been going up, down or sideways for centuries.

Simple trend-following techniques have been proven to work for the last 800 years.

#32     Jun 1, 2020
    lovethetrade and murray t turtle like this.
  3. Tradex

Tradex

Really?

The average daily move of the S&P 500 is 1%.
    Same thing with the major currency pairs.

No difference.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2020
    #33     Jun 1, 2020
    lovethetrade and murray t turtle like this.
  4. %%Best way to do that;
    start with small size. most etfs are so liquid, it pays.

Ive got my smallest UPROsize all year/ because summer ralley tends to be weakest/looks stronger summer than usual.BUT I have a cash etf order in, not more upro @ this time...………...…………………...………………………………………………………………… I see day trades in TZA,twm, but i'm not doing that daytrade today.
    I never test like one did on utube/ one qqq/amtd because I figure not enough profit for market maker/ one share; but that dollar amount is ok

#34     Jun 1, 2020
    KCalhoun likes this.
  5. %%
    OK/ I never do it thatway/ but I may put on a papertrade/ then trade. The difference is I never trust any simulator...………………………………………………………………………………………..

#35     Jun 1, 2020
    fan27 likes this.

6. We not talking about the sp500 we talking about individual stocks

How often you see a currency double or drop in half? and in how long? much slower and less often than stocks

#36     Jun 2, 2020
  7. It seems like most people start trading with live money with unproven and untested methodologies.

#37     Jun 2, 2020
  8. Even option commission and fees are now so low as to allow live market small size testing. I do the same with shares and will use 10 shares as a test lot.

#38     Jun 2, 2020
    KCalhoun likes this.
  9. Tradex

Tradex

Individual stocks ARE part of the S&P 500. If it moves 1% daily that means stocks move 1% daily, on average.

#39     Jun 2, 2020
  10. Tradex

Tradex

True, but on the other hand if people start trading with proven and backtested methodologies, winning traders will stop winning! :cool::D

#40     Jun 2, 2020