Does anyone else Test your trading ideas with Small size?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by KCalhoun, May 31, 2020.

1. Tradex

Tradex

Leverage my friend, leverage, that's the main difference. With Futures and Forex, profits and losses happen at least 10 times faster.

A stock has to move 100% if you want to double your money. With Forex a mere 1% move in your favor will do the trick, that's why I don't mess with stocks anymore.

If you have a good trading system your optimal move is to play the Futures or the Forex market, assuming you also have strict money management rules.

Last edited: May 31, 2020
    #21     May 31, 2020
    lovethetrade likes this.
  2. Thank you, and I think I want to put it in my bucket list. Are there futures-forex with training wheels, small. I don't plan on playing Oil, too many pros here to compete with.

#22     May 31, 2020
  3. Leverage is in any market
    Your talking
    about firex n futures having the most but the least options which in itself is a form of
    Leverage

#23     Jun 1, 2020

4. As far as backtesting and everyone do it u seem to forget most traders are discretionary even in their position size it Varys day to day mood to mood

not sure about backtesting 20-30 years either can be relevant to todays results

#24     Jun 1, 2020

5. Plus
    You know why futures and forex have the highest leverage? Because they do NOT move as much as stocks with very few exceptions thus your back at square one that they all try to replicate potentially the same level of gain/loss

#25     Jun 1, 2020
  6. Fx-Game

Fx-Game

20 to 30 years backtest?!

Markets are ever changing, what might have worked during the last 5 years, wouldn't have worked 15 years ago.

This is the problem with backtesting and curve fitting.

#26     Jun 1, 2020
  7. Turveyd

Turveyd

Yeah, Sim then $1 per pt then back to $10 NQ/DAX!

$1 puts the greed and fear into the equation without risking too much.

#27     Jun 1, 2020
  8. destriero

destriero

Yeah, sure, I have some thoughts... this is your gaslighting thread to convince people you’re not a piker. The problem is that you never show the scale into size. It’s always this absurd piker odd lots.

#28     Jun 1, 2020
  9. KCalhoun

KCalhoun

Dest sez "The problem is that you never show the scale into size. It’s always this absurd piker odd lots"

I start very small with odd lots to minimize my stop loss costs for trades that don't work.. I understand your point and agree I should be trading larger size. And I agree it would be useful to post more blotters showing examples thx for the nudge. I'm not a piker, but I do have areas I need to improve on, it's good to have the community here to bounce ideas and talk.

#29     Jun 1, 2020
    lovethetrade likes this.
  10. Nobert

Nobert

Hey fan,

which sim do you use for that ?

#30     Jun 1, 2020