Does anyone actually make money trading patterns?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by ProgrammerGuy, Jun 22, 2008.

1. Brandonf

Brandonf Sponsor

Well since your so smart I'm sure you will be able to figure it out. I will say though that anything you can program Rennaissance and other funds and banks that rely on computer system trading has likely already done. If you do find an edge, its likely to be found by others quickly, so you have have to be willing to be researching new patterns, algorithms etc all the time. There are a few very good systems trades on here, which is what I think your after...I'm not a systems trader..but the answer to your question of Can pattern's make someone money is yes.

#11     Jun 22, 2008
  2. Oh, you can but not trying to find consistency in Head & Shoulder patterns or Falling Triangles per se.

First you have to figure out what patterns consistently repeat and under what consistent conditions. Ninety nine percent of all traders don't have the patience to wade through that process so your response was predictable.

Keep trying though. Good things come to those who wait . . . and have no life . . . lol
    I can attest to that.

#12     Jun 22, 2008
  3. yep

#13     Jun 22, 2008
  4. stock_trader has twice as many posts as him. that means he knows TWICE as much! :p

#14     Jun 22, 2008
  5. yeah you just have to learn where to pick your fights. you can't just take every single "pattern" that you see.

#15     Jun 22, 2008
  6. also, one must be well prepared beforehand in case if the pattern fails

#16     Jun 22, 2008

7. LOL

#17     Jun 22, 2008
  8. I've only found one intraday chart pattern that I really find works consistently... I'm sure there are a millions... the one I know of is kind of common yet not one time have I seen it mentioned on ET. Admittedly, I wasn't smart enough to discover it, but was taught it by another trader... however, because of that I can say yes money is made from trading chart patterns.

#18     Jun 22, 2008