Does anyone actually believe in God or are they just afraid...

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Joe, Apr 22, 2014.

1. Lucrum

Lucrum

My now dead uncle, with a PhD in chemistry, said something similar to me many years ago.

#11     Apr 22, 2014
  2. jem

jem

sophistry....

your reply is not relevant to the concept that a belief in random chance takes faith.

#12     Apr 22, 2014
  3. jem

jem

that was not my argument on this thread.

a belief in Jesus being part of God takes faith, we all should know that.

Arguing for accurate statements about science is only a back door to proper science.

Just because you might be concerned that some would squeeze an argument about a creator into the argument does not mean science should be
    politicized.

#13     Apr 22, 2014
  4. stoic

stoic

In just the known Universe, there would have to be at least a googolplex (or more) of random chances.

#14     Apr 22, 2014
  5. Ricter

Ricter

Simple question, why does belief in Jesus as part of the Trinity, or even belief in God, take faith?

#15     Apr 22, 2014
  6. jem

jem

Because the best objective piece of evidence of a Creator that I know, is according to many top sceintists just evidence of a Creator, it is not conclusive in their opinion, so until I learn otherwise I accept the idea that we just have evidence of a Creator, not proof.

I have other subjective evidence for a much higher power... but I would not expect a stranger or a scientist to care about subjective evidence. I am not big on subjective evidence proving a fact either. However, it can go a long way towards supporting faith it happens to you... often enough.

#16     Apr 22, 2014
  7. Ricter

Ricter

This may explain why a person, who does not have the subjective evidence that you do, finds faith in infinite universes and random chance easier than faith in a creator.

#17     Apr 22, 2014
  8. jem

jem

absolutely..

although faith can be simple or complex.... whether the religious or the sports kind ...

faith is a paradox... faith seems to require faith.
    evidence of faith can be seen when one acts in faith on a promise or a belief.
    good things seem to happen to those who confidently act in faith.
    the subject goes far deeper and wider.. I could spend a career connecting performance and faith the zone and religions together.

but then perhaps this guy has figured a lot of the puzzle out...
    I am concerned I am doing the reverse Slomo.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Xn87-mcnoVc?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

#18     Apr 22, 2014
  9. Well, there are no such thing as atheists, IMO. Agnostics, yes. Atheists, no.

Many folks answer "belief in God" from a reflex of their upbringing.

Personally, I am uncomfortable with the ideas of both adamant atheists (so-called) and adamant theists for roughly the same reason.

Atheists (so-called) think they have a definitive answer to one of humanity's oldest questions, yet they cannot answer a question like - what are the natures and types of life forms in, say, Andromeda. How they then manage to make the leap to a definitive answer about God is beyond me....

Theists (IMO) tend to anthropomorphize God, ascribing their own human characteristics. This ego-centric tendency makes God small. And I don't even think most realize they are diminshing the concept of God.

Also, when it comes to God - are they talking about a "personal/interventionist" God (the "I want a bike for Christmas" God)?
    Or an impersonal God (Spinoza - this was what Einstein believed in when he said "He doesn't play dice with the universe").

Or something else...?

#19     Apr 22, 2014
  10. Redneck

Redneck

I sing Happy Birthday every Dec 25th while looking up into the sky

Its religion / churches / zealots – I couldn’t give a shit about

====

Early morning in the woods / on the lake – God is there

========

I keep him out of my trading though - I fuck up - I own it

RN

#20     Apr 22, 2014