does anybody manage a book of options in interactive brokers

Discussion in 'Options' started by cdcaveman, Jul 11, 2012.

1. sle

sle

How do you calculate the forwards/drops, using the OTM calls and ITM puts on the chain and bootstrapping?

#31     Dec 7, 2012
  2. Thanks. Looks interesting.

You've put up a number of free apps. Are you, at some point, going to release commercial versions?

#32     Dec 7, 2012
  3. 2rosy

2rosy

:p well free is ... free. meaning all the not so fun stuff is left off. If there is any way I can recoup my time in providing installers, docs, support I would

#33     Dec 7, 2012
  4. 2rosy

2rosy

I wrote this mainly to play around with QT. All the calculations are done using quantlib.

#34     Dec 7, 2012
  5. sle

sle

I am sorry, being a bit thick here. Did you write a dividend curve stripper based on quantlib functionality or are you trying to tell me that quantlib contains a pre-packaged dividend curve stripper?

#35     Dec 7, 2012
  6. Sundog

Sundog

I use IB Risk Analysis and sth. similar like optionstar to go over new ideas.
    I use the Eurex Strategy Master, costs roughly 20 EUR.

Open up an option chain, set up a strategy order(combo), right click on the B/A price, then "check risk". Immediately go on "view details". I dont use the first graph.
    Play with the tools, use initally sth. simple like a straddle and see how IB graphs it, etc.
    Honestly IB Risk Analysis works, just get used to it and take some online training from IB. Keep it simple.
    I know, it`s not optimal, but I try to keep it simple and it does the job.

Brgds Sundog

#36     Dec 8, 2012
  7. 2rosy

2rosy

quantlib provides the dividend curve; you just need to pass in the yield. basically you create a process() and option() and engine()

Code:
    dividendYield = FlatForward(settlementDate, 0.00, Actual365Fixed())
    process = BlackScholesMertonProcess(QuoteHandle(underlying),
                                                YieldTermStructureHandle(dividendYield),
                                                YieldTermStructureHandle(riskFreeRate),
                                                BlackVolTermStructureHandle(volatility))
    option = VanillaOption(payoff, exercise)
    option.setPricingEngine(AnalyticEuropeanEngine(process))

#37     Dec 8, 2012
  8. sle

sle

Got it now - you expect the user to provide the dividend yield. I was kind-off thinking that you strip a discrete dividend curve from the option chain and the user only has to provide the dividend dates. That's the "right" way, I can post an excel example for a single slice so you can see the difference in implied vols and more importantly, Greeks. I am pretty sure quantlib provides all of the tools necessary to make that calculation, but i can understand if it's a pain to implement. In fact, ideally you should do a two-tier calculator where you calculate the borrow rate for non-dividend expirations first and then use that + interest rate (OIS or Ts these days) to do a second pass and calculate discrete dividend "drops" for the days of the dividends.

#38     Dec 8, 2012