does anybody manage a book of options in interactive brokers

Discussion in 'Options' started by cdcaveman, Jul 11, 2012.

1. wow.. optionsoracle is free and its pretty bad ass.. i'm looking for draw backs as we speak!

#11     Jul 11, 2012
  2. risknav sucks quite a bit, but they're improved the analytics as it seems they now mark to the mid. It's not terribly straightforward to add underlying, but I guess it's easier to simply add/subtract 100D from the what-if.

#12     Jul 11, 2012
  3. wow i need to study up.. i haven't used the "what if" thing in IB at all!

#13     Jul 11, 2012
  4. omg the desktop options stratigy calculator is so freaking annoying! i can't get it to work right for me.. trying website

#14     Jul 12, 2012
  5. I am with OptionHouse and thinking of a move to IB

My concern has always been their platform.... Don't care about pretty graphics and neat stuff... just a no-nonesense option platform with all the greeks laid out nicely,

Anything requiring programming is beyond me.

But you guys are scaring me,,,,

Thanks

#15     Jul 12, 2012
  6. newwurldmn

newwurldmn

I use Etrade, whose options stuff sucks. But then I built all my own risk models using excel. It's nice because I can change things instantly when I want to see something differently or if I want to reorganize the data. So I created different portfolios within the same account and can watch the trades that way. It requires some VBA, but it isn't crazy.

I think if you want to trade vol, you have to do the analysis tools yourself. Everyone looks at 30day realized vol. You need to look at it slightly differently and there aren't really good option tools to do that. Even bloomberg is pretty pedestrian in terms of its option analysis tools.

#16     Jul 12, 2012
  7. So what's bad about 30 day vol to you... and what do you tweak to get a better reading

#17     Jul 12, 2012
  8. Doobs789

Doobs789

I would recommend that you build your own volatility analysis tools in something like excel. However, if you want some cool stuff that is already built; check out Hoadley.

Or you can always open a TOS account, fund it with $3500, and just use it for analysis. Then use IB for trading.

#18     Jul 12, 2012
  9. Doobs789

Doobs789

30 day is fine, when used with other durations as well. As mentioned above, a big outlier one-day move will show up as elevated vol. Run 10, 30, 60, 90, 120, etc. numbers and place them in the context of a vol cone.

#19     Jul 12, 2012
  10. Okay you start messing with it here goes nothing

#20     Jul 14, 2012