does america do enough for world hunger

Discussion in 'Politics' started by morganist, Nov 7, 2009.

1. I agree about religion- Catholicism in Africa is one of the fastest growing religions the past 100 years.

Poor populations are also undeducated so they fall for a lot of the crap in religion - like birth control.

The Catholic church may feed a lot of people in Africa, but it's role against contraception is ridiculous. AIDS and unsustainable population growth kills too many people over there.

Regions of the world that experience frequent famine either suffer from poor economics or population overshoot - beyond what the environment can sustain. Feeding those parts of the world without addressing the underlying issues makes the problem ultimately worse - more mouths to feed in the future.

#31     Nov 8, 2009
  2. I agree. Whatever happened to fix your own yard before going over to your neighbors'. America is hurting in case no one noticed.

On a side note the last 2 out of 3 years I have thought about volunteering on Thanksgiving, but I don't want to go to the ghetto to do it. I tried in my own neighborhood and they wanted a full background check and fingerprint. :eek: I would pass no problem but it's a damn insult.

#32     Nov 8, 2009
  3. Harsh but effective.

#33     Nov 8, 2009
  4. It is manifestly an outbreak of silliness.

There is either world hunger or there is not. There is global warming or there is not. These things exist regardless of power struggles, conspiracies and who is doing what to whom.

A little bit of pseudo intellectual waffle does not disguise the unfortunate reality that the Right and in particular the US Right has lost contact with Reason almost entirely.

It is reminiscent of the infamous neocon stuff about no longer needing to be reality based because they make their own reality. Delusional.

#34     Nov 9, 2009
  5. kwtrade

kwtrade

The Catholic church is making the situation worse. They are all about the here and now and not about the long term, because we cannot sustain growing populations of hungry people. They are like the crazy cat lady who puts out food to feed needy cats, but really makes the situation worse and annoys the neighbors. Not at all comparing people to cats; comparing the church to unrealistic people.

Birth control and women's rights are what is needed. I’m sick of sustaining societies that don’t value children and women.

Regarding stats… you are looking at a small picture of what the US does for the world. If you put up one piece of the picture and say that US does not do enough, they you need to put up the whole situation.

Who smacked down Hitler? Was that helpful to the world? Put up stats on that.

#35     Nov 16, 2009
  6. 10% govt unemployment numbers. 20%+ shadows stats unemployment. Kids going hungry in the USA and we give food away. People unable to afford electricity and heating oil. And we hand billions out abroad.

Charity begins at home and fuck the rest of them. Really. Fuck them with no lube.

Since when does anybody outside the USA care about us anyways? Let them care when the aid stops coming.

#36     Nov 16, 2009
  7. Yeah.. and "ties his tubes" so he quits producing babies he can't feed..

The solution to starving babies is NOT "America should send us more money and food", but rather... STOP HAVING THEM!!

#37     Nov 16, 2009
  8. i do that clicky thing, send 1 cup of food:)

#38     Nov 16, 2009
  9. Other countries have offered the US aid. During Katrina, Greece offered the US 2 cruise ships for free to house the homeless. But no, from what I remember, the aid was rejected, and instead, the US government contracted with Carnival Cruise. The contract was for $236 million.

The cost?

$33,000 per person for 6 months.

That's our government for you!

#39     Nov 16, 2009
  10. Figures you counter my argument with care offerd by my fathers home country. :)

Be really, its a drip in the ocean compared to the aid we have given them since the 40`s. Nice gesture, and crappy for our govt to reject it. But still tiny.

My point remains. We need to get our house in order. Pull back, shore up and then maybe when we are back in the black we can help the less fortunate.

#40     Nov 16, 2009